Motorcycle fuel treatment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marine Stabil is actually better for bikes stored over the winter. I use it. I also use Yamaha Ringfree every few months to clean carbon off of the pistons.

I run about 4oz of Amsoil QuikShot in every tank on my 82 CB750C. Bought the bike with 30,000 miles on it. Did the initial clean up dose of 8oz in a tank at 30,500 and at 31,300 miles (maybe 6 doses) later the bike seems to run smoother and definitely revs easier and quicker.

Here's my take on fuel system cleaners. Most bikes don't get used as often as cars do. Starting your bike up in the garage for 5 minutes to keep the battery charged doesn't do much either. Being bikes sit most of their lives, the gas tends to start turning to varnish and slowly starts plugging up carb jets, and making fuel injectors sticky.The bike will still run, just not like they could. Bikes that are run 10k plus miles a year tend to run very good as far as fuel issues go. That's because they are flushing clean fresh fuel through the gas tank, Just like you do in your car. A 1982 motorcycle with 30,000 miles on the odometer, averages one thousand miles a year worth of running time time .If your bike gets 40 mpg, that's 25 gallons of gas burned per year.It can be divided up any number of ways. 500 miles in the spring, and 500 miles in the fall or whatever. During the dormant period that when today's gas starts turning to sludge, and going stale. Running some form of fuel system cleaner will only help if the gas is moved thru the carbs or injecters. Just sitting in the tank does nothing to melt down the nasties in the carb.I have a friend who had real fuel issues in his boat while using marina supplied gas. It turned his gas lines to jelly. Soft and squishy. I haven't heard of that happening with bikes or cars. I haven't had any alcohol issues with any of my bikes in the last 15 years here in New Jersey. Some weekend's I'll burn 15 gallons of gas. No carb issues either. During the winter the bike still gets used, so fresh gas is still being used, instead of stored for weeks or months on end. I don't believe using any brand of fuel system cleaner would harm any bikes fuel system if used properly.If the system is too dirty, using carb cleaner probably won't help at all. Then disassembly and manual cleaning is the only answer. It's just another expense of owning the bike if you don't ride it enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back