Motorcycle brakes are simple, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's what I thought. Check out the brakes on my GL1800 ABS(Modulators not shown);

2153677448_6f4e0a90bd_o.jpg

The front brake lever applies the front brakes initially. 1 puck on the left, 2 pucks on the right. The left front caliper applies pressure to the secondary master cylinder as it tries to rotate with the disc. This in turn applies pressure to the anti dive unit and 2 of the 3 pucks on the rear brake.

The rear brake application applies 1 puck on the right front, 2 pucks on the left front and initially 1 puck on the rear. The anti dive is then also activated and then the other two rear pucks via the proportioning valve when the left front caliper activates the secondary master cylinder.

Apply both front and rear brakes and you get the max braking effect from all pucks on all discs.

There are also delay valves and proportioning valves along with ABS modulators (if fitted), in the system.

My BMW R1200CLC has a very complex linked ABS system as well. Flushing the brake system is akin to rocket science (not really, but is not simple). Actually, it may be even more complex than yours. Every brake input is run through the ABS servo assist module. The fluid in the resevoirs at the levers is used to modulate the ABS servo unit, and is not connected directly to the calipers. There are 6 bleed fittings at the ABS servo unit, then there is 1 on each caliper. Confused yet?

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Took me a second, by "pucks" you mean caliper pistons, correct?

Yes.

The manual has 39 pages devoted to the standard brake system, and another 32 pages for the ABS portion.

The ABS Brake system wiring on this bike is more complicated than all of the wiring on my '82 Suzuki GN250. Course, that bike had rod/cable activated drum brakes, so it didn't even have brake fluid.

Doing a brake fluid swap is a bit complicated. There are 6 bleed screws on the bike...

The entire factory service manual is 757 pages. Yes, I do my own work. There is a DVD set, with a guy demonstrating every common repair that makes it pretty straightforward. Otherwise, I'd of been a bit daunted by it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back