Motorcraft Transfercase Fluid... Just use ATF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My boss just got a 2008 Ford F450 Lariat 4x4. The manual calls for Motorcraft Transfercase Fluid.. Is this just a renamed overpriced bottle of atf at the stealership? Or do I really have to go to Ford and buy myself a couple of these quarts? I'll be changing the transmission fluid anyway so couldn't I just use the leftover atf? (I'll be using Maxlife Dex/Merc because its the cheapest atf I can find spec'd for Mercon SP according to their website)

My '08 calls for Mercon 5 in the case and SP in the trans. SP has been replaced by LV and discontinued. I run Valvoline Mercon 5 in the case and Maxlife in the trans. It shifts good with the Maxlife.

Last edited:
My PC crashed during the edit. The post above should state my '08 calls for Motorcraft Transfer Case Fluid, but I run Mercon 5. We use it in the SuperDuties at work that see severe service. You just want to stay away from low viscosity ATF in the case. I change it every 30k.

Originally Posted By: Jim_Truett
My '08 calls for Mercon 5 in the case and SP in the trans. SP has been replaced by LV and discontinued. I run Valvoline Mercon 5 in the case and Maxlife in the trans. It shifts good with the Maxlife.

The Maxlife bottle says mercon lv and the website says sp as well so that makes sense. So Mercon V should be good? No need for this "transfer case fluid"

My PC crashed during the edit. The post above should state my '08 calls for Motorcraft Transfer Case Fluid, but I run Mercon 5. We use it in the SuperDuties at work that see severe service. You just want to stay away from low viscosity ATF in the case. I change it every 30k.

Yeah this is also sever duty. Maxlife isn't good then? Use Mercon V instead?

Originally Posted By: jbotelho15

Yeah this is also sever duty. Maxlife isn't good then? Use Mercon V instead?

Maxlife is thinner at 5.9 cst where Mercon 5 is around 8 at 100c. I prefer the thicker fluid in a chain case. Maxlife in the trans has been perfect.

Who told you SP was discontinued? It certainly is not discontinued. They still spec it for the 6 speed ZF automatics. The Torqueshift assemblies were all re-spec'd to LV.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

Who told you SP was discontinued? It certainly is not discontinued. They still spec it for the 6 speed ZF automatics. The Torqueshift assemblies were all re-spec'd to LV.

Maxlife is specd both for LV and SP according to thier website so it definitely seems right either way plus a gallon is just $17 at walmart

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

This is why I hate my Ford dealer....

I even had a counter guy try to tell me my truck took Mercon 5 when I specifically asked for BRAKE FLUID. I had to explain the Hydroboost unit was separate from the brake fluid reservoir/MC and the fluids did not mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back