Motorcraft Spark Plugs

hey everyone,

I am set to replace the spark plugs in my 2014 Ford Explorer. It has the 3.5L V6 Naturally Aspirated non turbo motor with approximately 85k miles. I have been all over Ford Parts, Rock Auto, and the usual auto store websites only to find several different part numbers that "fit my vehicle". Even Ford's website is very vague, and the spark plugs from the dealer are about double than Advance Auto.

I have attached the results from Advance Auto, any advice?

Attachments

• Spark Plugs.jpg
    Spark Plugs.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 133
For a transverse V6, iridium is a must! Denso 4719 is a good choice :)

The ACDelco iridium is also a good choice with that $3 rebate. I think they are Denso.

I have a Taurus with the same engine. I replaced my plugs a few months ago and went through the same kind of thing. Ford has updated part numbers for the plugs on a lot of their engines but, from what the parts guy at the dealership told me, they are basically identical and only had to do with SKU tracking and ordering in their system. I have no idea if that's completely true or not.

For my 3.5L NA, I just used the SP534 that the manual for my Taurus specifies. Don't know if your Explorer uses a different number.

Quick edit --- I just looked up MC's "new" part number that replaced the original and it's SP-580. Appears to be exactly the same plug. Just new number for reasons stated above. They are both iridium with the same gap (from what I can find).

Also, I'm pretty sure the the owners manual on my fords list the spark plug numbers ...
If Ford is consistent, yeap, it should. Our '14 Fusion manual lists the # for Motorcraft. NGK is quite likely the OEM so use NGK's parts selector and it will even tell you if they're the OEM for the application.

If Ford is consistent, yeap, it should. Our '14 Fusion manual lists the # for Motorcraft. NGK is quite likely the OEM so use NGK's parts selector and it will even tell you if they're the OEM for the application.
Double check NGK and RockAutos description

Because at least for my 2010 2.5 Duratec's, apparently the Motorcraft part number is gapped wrong (for my application)

But the NGKs let you choose the right gap 🤷‍♂️

How much of a difference is .04" of an inch?

.044 vs .052, how much of a drivability difference will that make?

Just for fun I checked the Ford Explorer 2022 owners manual to see if Ford moved on to Iridium plugs for the 3.3 Twin Turbo. Nope, it’s still the SP-520 Platinum plug. Not sure why Ford is still specifying Platinum plugs while GM moved on to Iridium over 10 years ago.

299B0D0E-B479-4823-B7D6-C98E76D3A6B4.png

Last edited:
Double check NGK and RockAutos description

Because at least for my 2010 2.5 Duratec's, apparently the Motorcraft part number is gapped wrong (for my application)

But the NGKs let you choose the right gap 🤷‍♂️

How much of a difference is .04" of an inch?

.044 vs .052, how much of a drivability difference will that make?
The correct gap will be listed on the emission sticker which is likely on the core support.

For our 2017 Explorer w/2.3 EcoBoost the factory plugs are Motorcraft SP-537, Iridium plugs. The replacement plugs are Motorcraft SP-550, Platinum plugs. I replaced the plugs last year and used the SP-537 plugs. I don't see those plugs any more, only the SP-550. If you want Iridium I guess you need to buy the NGK plugs that are the equivalent of the SP-537, NGK lists them as OEM plugs on their site, I don't remember the part #, sorry. You would think with a GDI turbo engine Ford would stick with the factory Iridium plugs.

Back