Motorcraft FL300 cut and post

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a dent on the bottom of a FL1A, I'm not sure if I can use it or not.

Thanks for the C&P.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Dent does not matter.

It could, depending on the dent. If there is a crease of any kind, it can become cracked from the continuous pulsation of the oil from the oil pump working and flexing the metal.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
LOL... Best advice is use a better filter those filters are bottom of the barrel these days.

Really? Where is your data coming from?

I always thought Motorcraft filters were decent and that one looks pretty nice. I'm not saying they are top notch because they aren't but they surely are not bottom of the barrel as you say.

Last edited:
LOL... Best advice is use a better filter those filters are bottom of the barrel these days.

You could not be more wrong!

Originally Posted By: Scum_Frog

You could not be more wrong!

Ehh.. Purolator filters are all junk now and MC filters are made by Purolator...so...

Some are worse than others. I just cut open a wavy and brittle media FL-820 with less than 4k miles on it.

Fram Ultra FTW

Sounds as if you are misguided.

In the past they were my go to oil filter for all my fords and most of the fords we rebuilt.. These days with all the drama with the company that builds them between the shards of metal that cut into the anti drainback valve and all the tearing and other situations related to quality my "data" is coming from common sense and years owning an engine machine shop. I have heard they are going the louver route also and that is another reason i personally won't use them.

The Fram ultra XG2 is a better filter but also more money, you can find the motorcraft for under $3.00 the ultra is around $9.00 i guess in this case you get what you pay for.

Shoe me a back to bac UOA proving that the FU actually works better than another brand.

I can show you one that proves it doesn't.

That MC looks very good. Pleat spacing is better than average, imo.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: meborder
Shoe me a back to back UOA proving that the FU actually works better than another brand.

It's been mentioned many times that a plain old UOA can't tell you how well the oil filter is working.

Originally Posted By: meborder
Shoe me a back to bac UOA proving that the FU actually works better than another brand.

I can show you one that proves it doesn't.

That MC looks very good. Pleat spacing is better than average, imo.

That's because high dollar oil filters are more about making one feel good than increasing the life of the engine. The MC filters I use(FL 900 and FL 2017) always look very good after my normal 10 K OCI.

Originally Posted By: tig1

That's because high dollar oil filters are more about making one feel good than increasing the life of the engine.

And proof of that is the fact there there are millions of cars on the road who get their oil changed at Iffy Lube every now and then and their engines easily make it to 250K and the rest of the car fails before the engine.

It could also be said low dollar oil filters are more about making one feel good about getting the lowest cost goods, the cheapest deal, winning the low cost game, rather than having any significant effect on money in the bank. In my case the savings would be $5 per year. I do use a cheap $4 filter on one car, but because it is OE, not cheap. Sometimes it seems like it must be 1940 the way people obsess about a dollar or two. No oil filters here are high dollar, all are low dollar. I know my estate will not be in shambles when it is settled minus $5 per year. Just like the car using a $2 oil filter may not be in shambles when it croaks.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
It could also be said low dollar oil filters are more about making one feel good about getting the lowest cost goods, the cheapest deal, winning the low cost game, rather than having any significant effect on money in the bank. In my case the savings would be $5 per year. I do use a cheap $4 filter on one car, but because it is OE, not cheap. Sometimes it seems like it must be 1940 the way people obsess about a dollar or two. No oil filters here are high dollar, all are low dollar. I know my estate will not be in shambles when it is settled minus $5 per year. Just like the car using a $2 oil filter may not be in shambles when it croaks.

Like I said, $10-12 dollar filters don't extend the life of an engine, or at least there is no evidence of it. Remember, the oil you use is more important than the filter you use.

Last edited:
Motorcraft is not cheap or high - it is mid range and many of us think it's one of the best values out there - just like M-1 is ...
Excellent oil in temp extremes ...
If I drove Fords in Illinois - be doing the same thing.

The combination of MC oil and filters keeps the oil in the Matrix looking a nice honey color throughout the 8k oci. Versus other comparable combinations where the oil turns black as midnight in 2-3k miles. Not that color is a tell all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back