Motorcraft fl-820-s cut open.....kinda funky...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Havent cut any filters in awhile so i did this one last week....2007 f150 5.4 3v 128k...engine is clean and runs excellent..had all new catalytic converters and 4 new O2 sensors put on it approx 1500 miles ago....this oil/filter has 7200 miles on it...10w30 conventional fleet oil....filter looks kinda funky/wavy to me...adbv is fine nice and soft...didnt make the pic....replaced this filter with an Auto Extras 618-51372..which is a wix/napa silver copy/private label with the funky combo valve and more of the same 10w30 conventional fleet oil.

Last edited:
The last FL-820S that I cut open, the metal end caps literally fell off of the black material that forms the ends of the filter.

Are they any better on this one?

Residual oil in the can looks clean for a 7200 mile OCI on an engine with 128k miles. No debris collected at the bottom. Must be a well cared for, clean running truck. Nice.

Wavy pleats are not the calamity that some believe they are. Don't worry about it.

The first 820s I cut looked about like that too. In fact, I cut open a virgin Mopar a few weeks ago only to find it had pre-installed waves. (To me, they appear to be identical filters (media/ bypass wise) and are both Purolator made.)

The metal end caps falling off are about normal too. When the filter is still together, the spring does its job by keeping everything in place. Ill still never understand why the fiber end caps get so much hate? Hmmm.
21.gif

Is this the neglected 5.4 that was filled with Amsoil a while back?

No this is a truck I bought last summer with 115k and been driving the #\/%!# out of daily since lol....The amsoil one is a buddys of mine who is still driving daily....

I have a 2012 ram hemi that i use the oem mo-99(and have cut) on and it looks identical to the 820-s except for the grip/ribbing on the can....

Last edited:
Here is a pic of inside the oil filler with the little neck removed..engine is running in pics...engine is clean...the huge front covers on these engines are very porous/rough feeling and tend to accumulate the dark varnishy stuff fairly easy. Everyone i have seen is dark whether the engine is clean or not...

Originally Posted By: DSparks
No this is a truck I bought last summer with 115k and been driving the #\/%!# out of daily since lol....The amsoil one is a buddys of mine who is still driving daily....

I have a 2012 ram hemi that i use the oem mo-99(and have cut) on and it looks identical to the 820-s except for the grip/ribbing on the can....

The mo-99 and the 820s are equivalents. The MC is just cheaper.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: DSparks

The mo-99 and the 820s are equivalents. The MC is just cheaper.
laugh.gif

They are similar but in addition to costing more the Mopar has a nitrile ADBV (at least the one that I dissected did).

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Residual oil in the can looks clean for a 7200 mile OCI on an engine with 128k miles. No debris collected at the bottom. Must be a well cared for, clean running truck. Nice.

Wavy pleats are not the calamity that some believe they are. Don't worry about it.

Wavy pleats are not a calamity but I'd rather they be more uniform. It's amazing that even cheap Chinese made Driveworks filters have straight pleats while American made filters have trouble achieving that.

I think I'll add Motorcraft to my 'Do not use' list along with their Purolator cousins.

Interesting, I was under the impression that Motorcrafts were fairly solid filters. FL1As and FL1HPs are the only ones which have ever touched my Mustang.

I see nothing concerning other than the filter looks pretty well loaded to me...5k filter changes perhaps?

Thanks for the cut and post!

Originally Posted By: jk_636
Seems like the filter was ran a little too long. Wavy pleats, but it held up. Thanks for the cut and post OP!

I recently posted a FL500s with only 1k on it and the pleats were starting to look wavy. I don't think it hurts anything, but it is curious that even a low mileage Motorcraft shows this.

The wavy pleats are not unusual for a Purolator-made filter. Not ideal aesthetically, but as long as it doesn't tear, it'll get the job done.

Thanks for the C&P.

Looks like quality going down hill even in a line of filters that was claimed to be immune to the junkolators.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back