Motorcraft Blend or NAPA Full Synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a GMC with 220,000. I have been using Super Tech Synthetic and ST Filter and love it. However, I may be getting a newer Ford F150 soon which takes 5w20. Super Tech doesn't have a synthetic 5w20. So I am doing some oil research.

Would you recommend Ford Motorcraft synthetic blend with Motorcraft filter or NAPA full synthetic with NAPA Filter?

I know they are both good oils and filters, I would just like to make the best choice. The motorcraft is a bit cheaper and is Ford endorsed but I kind of want a full synthetic. So, I am kind of torn.

Last edited:
MC syn blend and a MC filter is an excellent combination, and great bang for the buck for a Ford product.

NAPA Full Syn with a MC filter will work fine too, as will a NAPA filter. Me, I go for the value.

Neither is a synthetic filter but both are very good, i vote go with the Napa syn for your upcoming cold NY winters plus i love syn's there's always that little bit of an edge with it, but the MC oil is very good too.

Yeah, I'm liking the full synthetic Napa oil too. However, it will be $26 for the NAPA oil and filter and about $16-$17 for the Motorcraft oil and filter.

I just wish Ford Motorcraft was a full synthetic. Then I would be right on board 100%. I also like the idea of Ford oil in a Ford Truck. I'm OCD about matching stuff like that. For example, if I'm using NAPA oil then I want a NAPA filter. I guess I will have to see which direction my OCD takes me. The synthetic route or the FORD oil and Ford Filter in a Ford Truck route.

Your newer Ford is worth it no? $26 for a quality oil that can go 7-8k+ and give great protection in cold weather is worth it IMO,but you got a choice i guess.

can you get Motorcraft filter cheaper then the Napa?

Originally Posted By: 360kid
I just wish Ford Motorcraft was a full synthetic. Then I would be right on board 100%.

They do make Full Synthetic Oil..Been using it for over a year now..The Ford dealers have it..At least down here in the jungle.

Motorcraft Syn Blend: $11 per 5 quart jug.
+ $2.50 for additional quart
+ $3.00 for MC filter
= about $16.00 for MC oil change.

NAPA Full Synthetic: $3.00 per quart x six quarts
+ $8.00 for NAPA Gold Filter
= $26 for NAPA oil change

NAPA doesn't seem to sell their Full Synthetic 5w20 in 5 quart jugs. Also, the Gold filter sounds much better than the regular NAPA filter.

How much is the Motorcraft full synthetic oil from the dealer? Can you buy it online?

How much is the Motorcraft full synthetic oil from the dealer? Can you buy it online?

The MotorCraft full Synthetic 5W-20 in very expensive at the dealer $7.00 a quart! Amazon has it for slightly less money.

I just wish Ford Motorcraft was a full synthetic. Then I would be right on board 100%. I also like the idea of Ford oil in a Ford Truck. I'm OCD about matching stuff like that. For example, if I'm using NAPA oil then I want a NAPA filter. I guess I will have to see which direction my OCD takes me. The synthetic route or the FORD oil and Ford Filter in a Ford Truck route.

Conoco Phillips is Ford's Synthetic supplier. Grab the Pep Boys deal on Full Synthetic Kendall. 5 qt's w/Proline filter for $19.99. Tack on $4 for a Motorcraft filter and it's still a deal. It's just fully synthetic Motorcraft with a different label on it. Isn't it?

http://www.conocophillipslubricants.com/...20TDS%20Web.pdf

Originally Posted By: Art_Vandelay

Conoco Phillips is Ford's Synthetic supplier. Grab the Pep Boys deal on Full Synthetic Kendall. 5 qt's w/Proline filter for $19.99. Tack on $4 for a Motorcraft filter and it's still a deal. It's just fully synthetic Motorcraft with a different label on it. Isn't it?

http://www.conocophillipslubricants.com/...20TDS%20Web.pdf

I agree that would be a good deal too.
21.gif
,stick with a syn tho IMO,The K would be a good fit too.

I will probably end up going with the full synthetic. I usually can't tell any difference from a synthetic blend over a conventional. A while ago I had a car and I was using Valvoline Synthetic blend and it came out just as black and used as conventional oil did after 3000 miles.

Now that I am using ST synthetic, after 3000 in my old truck, the oil still looks pretty darn good. So, I would assume Ford Motorcraft synthetic blend would be the same way. After 3000 miles on it, it would probably look black and disgusting after 3000 miles just like conventional oil would?

I will probably end up going with the full synthetic.

Good choice IMO,,i don't like a blend because one never knows how much syn base is in a blend.could be 1% or less do we know?

go full syn or go full conventional.

I am starting to find good stuff about Motorcraft oil as I browse the net. Anyone know if Motocraft blend has a high level of detergents to prevent sludge and varnish build-up?

If it does, I may go with the MC Blend and the MC filter. It's cheaper and I would just keep the OCI to 3000 miles.

Originally Posted By: daman
I will probably end up going with the full synthetic.

Good choice IMO,,i don't like a blend because one never knows how much syn base is in a blend.could be 1% or less do we know?

go full syn or go full conventional.

For Motorcraft it is about 60% group III and 40% group II the last time I checked for the base oil. For the recommended OCI on a new F-150 the Motorcraft combo will work just fine and he should get another 220K out of his Ford if he takes care of it like his GMC.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
For Motorcraft it is about 60% group III and 40% group II the last time I checked for the base oil.

How do we find this % out on blends?? hard to believe that they would put more 3 in over 2 for there blends

I am starting to find good stuff about Motorcraft oil as I browse the net. Anyone know if Motocraft blend has a high level of detergents to prevent sludge and varnish build-up?

If it does, I may go with the MC Blend and the MC filter. It's cheaper and I would just keep the OCI to 3000 miles.

Motorcraft is EXCELLENT oil.
01.gif

I'd not even think twice about using it for a lot longer OCI in your Ford. Like 5k!

REALLY. We have 200k plus on our Fords at work and they see [censored]. Long idling major 4x4 work and they are lucky to see oil changes every 7k-9k with whatever iffy lube sticks in.

Motorcraft 5w-20 + any good filter + Ford truck motor = long long long life!

Worry about the power steering pump and transmissions!

Take care, Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back