Motor Mount Replacement Question

Need to change an upper motor mount on my car. To do this, I understand that you need to relieve pressure on the old motor mount to unbolt it and take it off. My understanding is that you do this by supporting the engine up with a jack, using a horizontal 2x4 of wood under the oil pan.

Here is my question. Is there any risk that doing this will damage the RTV gasket that is sealing the oil pan? I had to fix this leaking oil pan not too long ago, and really don't want to do it again. Obviously the oil pan is not torqued super hard to the engine block, so there is a rubber layer of RTV between the two....

Thoughts?

Need to change an upper motor mount on my car. To do this, I understand that you need to relieve pressure on the old motor mount to unbolt it and take it off. My understanding is that you do this by supporting the engine up with a jack, using a horizontal 2x4 of wood under the oil pan.

Here is my question. Is there any risk that doing this will damage the RTV gasket that is sealing the oil pan? I had to fix this leaking oil pan not too long ago, and really don't want to do it again. Obviously the oil pan is not torqued super hard to the engine block, so there is a rubber layer of RTV between the two....

Thoughts?
I have seen engines supported many times and have never heard of any comebacks for gasket issues. If it bothers you too much maybe find another point on the engine to support it by. The oil pan will be the easiest though.

If it's the upper one that is commonly referred to as the dog bone you may not need to do anything at all to support the engine as the other mounts should still continue to do so with it disconnected. That one only controls rocking back and forth to my understanding and isn't actually holding the weight of the engine up. This was the case on my car at least. I replaced mine about a month ago.

And to note, Honda used three different spring rates on the old CR-V's when it rolled out the factory. Being that the vehicle is old, Honda consolidated the three spring offerings into one offering

OK, neat information, but my question was about motor mounts.

What kind of car are we talking about? I know it may be a secret car in a secret location so you may not want to share it.

If it's a transverse I-4 engine, you should be able to just pull on the valve cover and relieve the pressure to wiggle or crank the bolt out. New one just the reverse. At least, that's worked form me on Hondas and a VW.

Changed the dog bone mount in my 2006 Camry years ago (RIP). It was a simple replacement that took me 15 minutes which includes the time I needed to find the right tool and put the tool back in its place. I did not need to support the motor to do it. I bought my part on RockAuto.com. I would purchase the OEM part. The cost difference is not worth it especially if you are doing the work yourself.

Thoughts?
If your car is very young changing only 1 may be OK, but if it's bit long in the tooth generally the mounts to be changed are 3, 2 motor mounts & 1 transmission mount, as if one is gone the other 2 are not far behind.

Dog bone on my Taurus was just remove and replace. I would be 100% comfortable slightly putting 2" of lift on pan with a 2x4.

Back