Motomaster filter recall - Southern Ontario

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Peter_Pan
BTW, as I said in the other thread I personally only use BOSCH filters. Not because they are "Made In USA" solely, but because they are a quality filter from a well respected company.
Uh-oh...I think I hear labman gearing up.
27.gif

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
BTW, as I said in the other thread I personally only use BOSCH filters. Not because they are "Made In USA" solely, but because they are a quality filter from a well respected company.
27.gif

He's gonna unleash a Blitzkrieg! LMAO!!!!

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa

So you think if a defective Motomaster filter was used, and it destroyed somebody's engine, that Canadian Tire would pay for a new motor without any quibbling?
grin2.gif

Not anymore or any less than the other competitors. Ultimately I would never put my trust blindly in to a company like Canadian Tire. I'd research the product and make sure it is the least likely candidate to cause any problem.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
27.gif

Why? Cause I think BOSCH/Purolator are pretty good products for the money?
21.gif

27.gif

Why? Cause I think BOSCH/Purolator are pretty good products for the money?
21.gif

Inside joke
wink.gif
If he chimes in, you'll understand.

Watch out--here comes Robert Bosch!!!

dancing_hitler_yey.gif

Originally Posted By: river_rat

dancing_hitler_yey.gif

lol.gif
... yeah, I think you're on the right track there.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa

So you think if a defective Motomaster filter was used, and it destroyed somebody's engine, that Canadian Tire would pay for a new motor without any quibbling?
grin2.gif

Not anymore or any less than the other competitors. Ultimately I would never put my trust blindly in to a company like Canadian Tire. I'd research the product and make sure it is the least likely candidate to cause any problem.

Well, based on your suggestion ... if I see it's an "off brand" without knowing if a large filter manufacture (ie, WIX, Purolator, ect) made it ... AND, I see "Made in China", then that's a major red flag which means "Stay Away!!" for me.

I guess we're all too cheap to use cheap filters. I know I am. I want to drive the wheels off my truck. 300K miles at least.

Spoke to a girl at a 1-800 # the Can. Tire guys gave me. It is, in fact a threading and "fitting" issue, not all models are affected. The store I was in was in the Niagara Region of Ontario. The affected filters, according to her were :
17-1707
17-1717
17-1746
17-1881
17-1723

She emphasized that not all of the filters from these models are affected either. If the filter goes on properly, it's OK. That's all I can really tell you.

Originally Posted By: river_rat

dancing_hitler_yey.gif

crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
Thanks for the ha ha.

I had one of these filters on my wife's Honda on her previous oil interval, and had no issues with it at all. I was in CT this morning (getting my limited edition $1 CT coin, haha!) and noticed that most of the Motomaster filters were pulled off the shelf. I am currently running an AC Delco filter on her car (I had it sitting in the basement for many years and finally decided to use it to save some money) but I would have no problem going back to the Motomaster filter on her next oil change.

Originally Posted By: rocketman
Spoke to a girl at a 1-800 # the Can. Tire guys gave me. It is, in fact a threading and "fitting" issue, not all models are affected.

Wonder what that means? ... can't screw it on?, can screw it on but it buggers up the mounting treads?, screws on but doesn't stay tight and leaks?

Obviously a QA problem.

Originally Posted By: benjamming
Super,

It's actually a manufacturing problem then that no one on the line or in QA caught.
wink.gif

Yeah, that's both a "manufacturing problem" AND a "QA problem".

If you "try" to manufacture something per a spec or drawing that is correct, and it turns out wrong and nobody (ie, QA) catches the problem, then it the culmination of TWO issues going wrong.

In my manufacturing experience, it's ultimately QA that should catch things like that ... that is there purpose on the job.

Quote:

That's a bit generalizing, don't you think? China manufactures to the specs the original ordering company requests.

Here is an interesting blog to read, if you got time look through older posts regarding how important your "specs" are. http://www.chinalawblog.com/

How WE in North America view specs and how specs are interpreted in China are two very different things. If it says Red latex paint, that is what you will get, however, the chinese will view it with a broader definition to include: red peanutbutter later, or red lead enhanced latex paint, or the actual intended red latex lead free paint. Whatever they can source for the lowest cost and still meet the spec.

Alex.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back