Motomaster 17-1734-0 virgin cut

Hello BITOG!

Extremely long time lurker, first time poster. :alien:(y)

Doing some garage cleaning I found a stash of filters which I collected from helping others clean their garages! I have nothing that these filters would work on and no friends who want them, so I decided to donate them for BITOG science.

First up, Motomaster 17-1734-0:

filter front.jpg
filter back.jpg

No batch markings or other identifying info to say when it was made, I would guess that this was made pre-90's...

filter top.jpg
filter base inside.jpg

No spring or anti-drainback valve, the metal butterfly at the bottom pressed the top of the filter media cartridge up to the top of the can:

filter can inside.jpg
can with media removed.jpg

The filter media seemed to be a cellulose/paper style, and had a weird band kind of like a dried out rubber band but more paper-y? Not sure what purpose it serves, free-floating around. Didn't seem to be detached from anywhere, and the glue was integral.

filter media close up.jpg
filter media glue dried band.jpg

Nothing crazy but hope you'll enjoy!

Thanks everyone!

I agree; this filter would not have been my choice for warranty safe service ;)

The band thing around the middle was surprising. It started flopping around as soon as I got it out of the can and flipped it upside down. It was just rubbery enough not to tear when I tugged at it, but papery enough that it wouldn't have taken much more than a tug to rip it. Not sure what purpose it was supposed to serve?

Back