Mothers speed clay 2.0 is awesome!

So my mom recently (3 weeks ago) bought a used Kia Soul+ (a 2018 with 23,000 miles) that was a rental.

The pre-sale detail by the dealer was pretty good, but her parking spot at her apartments is right by the sprinkler head, and they recently did a power wash of the property (stucco siding) and her car was coated with a fine white powder that had formed water spots.

I brought it to my house and did a quick wash with Turtle Wax MAX Power soap (using the "extreme" concentration). It did a decent job, the white color was gone, but the drivers side, windshield, hood, roof and drivers side windows still had a crusty feeling to them.

I grabbed my Mothers Speed Clay 2.0 that I have never used and decided to give it a try. I used it with some Mothers California Gold Instant Detailer spray for the lube.
All I can say is wow.
shocked2.gif

I have used several clays in the past, and they work, but are a pain in the rear to use and my hands were killing me by the time I was done.
This combo was literally a spray and rub, and the paint is super smooth.
I will never use clay again.

I washed it a 2nd time to make sure it was all clean, then applied some Turtle Wax Ice Paste wax. I have always liked this stuff since I first used it. It is super easy to apply, is safe for plastic and trim, has an amazing deep shine to it and lasts quite a while.

Her car looks better now than when she bought it. I totally get why Kia calls the color "Inferno Red".

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A little overcast for these pics, but in the sun, this car is almost an orange it is so red.
Still think it is funny that my 78 year old mother bought a car this color.

She also has gotten a new parking spot away from the sprinklers, and they are done pressure washing the complex.

Still need to figure out what to detail the interior with. I cleaned the windows with Invisible Glass, and took a wet cloth and just wiped the interior down ( a little dust had collected on the dash, need to do some type of protection though, and not crazy about the shine of Armour All (was thinking 303 Protectant?)).

Turned out really great! Shows what you can do with off the shelf products. It's always enjoyable to take something used in good condition and tweaking it into GREAT condition. My adult son has a Kia Soul and the thing is incredibly reliable and has excellent build quality, fit, and finish. All for a very reasonable price. I wish they would get away from the "cute" styling (young people attraction) - I think that I could own one.

In honor of you and your 78 year old mum:

Very nice lawn, by the way.

Looks nice. I will have to keep my eye out for it when I'm out and about. Should stand out.

It looks great. I might give Clay Magic a try next time I detail one of my Jeeps.

I have the speed clay but have not used it yet. Hopefully soon. The Kia looks great.

I think when I'm out of my Duragloss I might just move to New Finish. It seems from all the YouTube video's and such that it is easy on and off and holds up well.

Mother's VLR for the interior, can't beat it.

I like some Mother's products but they seem to be hit or miss. VLR is a hit, their wheel cleaner is a miss.

Good to know that their Speed Clay is another hit.

I've also tried the $5 claying cloths that they sell at AZ, etc. They seem to work well.

Originally Posted by doitmyself
... My adult son has a Kia Soul and the thing is incredibly reliable and has excellent build quality, fit, and finish. All for a very reasonable price. I wish they would get away from the "cute" styling (young people attraction) - I think that I could own one.

Funny thing is, it was designed for the twenty something market, but has been a best seller in the 50+.
My mom is in a 55+ apartment, and there are 15-20 Soul's there (but hers is the only red one, there are several green ones, a lot of white and silver ones and a few black ones).

Wife and I almost bought one for her back in 2010-1011, but ended up with the Scion xB (a similar vehicle).

Very nice lawn, by the way.

Thanks, but the pics show the "good" part of the yard. My neighbor has sprinklers and I get overspray from it there, and her yard guy mows it. The main yard is kind of sad looking now, I don't water it and there are some brown spots starting to show.

Originally Posted by Gasbuggy
Have you used Clay Magic before?

It does not look familiar.

Originally Posted by Propflux01
Is this similar to Nanoskin?

No idea.

Originally Posted by Rat407
I have the speed clay but have not used it yet. Hopefully soon. The Kia looks great.

I think when I'm out of my Duragloss I might just move to New Finish. It seems from all the YouTube video's and such that it is easy on and off and holds up well.

Hope you are as satisfied with it as I was. I actually used it on my daughters Scion (just on the hood to test it out). Hers was not as near bad a shape as my moms, but I could tell it smoothed the paint out.

I have a bottle on NuFinish in my garage that I just use for windshields (works great along with the Rain-X washer fluid), and have used it on my truck (with clear coat peeling) with bad results (it whitened the paint, but again, the clear coat was gone).
I also have some Sonax Brilliant shine detailer that I used on my wifes Santa Fe. Her paint is in good shape, so did not see a big difference after using it, but will see after the first rain.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW

How is the "shine" from the VLR? I am OK with a matte or even a slight satin, but do not want a gloss or sticky detailer.
I have read a lot of good about Meguiars D149, but can only find 1 gallon jugs, and don't want to commit to that much right off.

I just tried out the Speed Clay 2.0 last weekend and wasn't impressed. HOWEVER it may just be my fault. I had a freshly washed car but it's black and was in bright midday sun when I tried it. I used ample spray lube but it started digging in and leaving marks that I had to buff out. It mostly started digging in when I got to a round edge so maybe I was pushing too hard. I don't know. I'll give it another go when it's cooled down and in shade so my lubricant doesn't evaporate right off. The pains of living in an apartment with no garage...
Edit: also it was for my 2002 Taurus that has probably never had a clay bar treatment and scratches/swirls/rust galore!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by blupupher

How is the "shine" from the VLR? I am OK with a matte or even a slight satin, but do not want a gloss or sticky detailer.
I have read a lot of good about Meguiars D149, but can only find 1 gallon jugs, and don't want to commit to that much right off.

No shine. Mother's VLR is the anti-Armorall. Simply cleans and protects the original surface.

Originally Posted by Aero540T
I just tried out the Speed Clay 2.0 last weekend and wasn't impressed. HOWEVER it may just be my fault. I had a freshly washed car but it's black and was in bright midday sun when I tried it. I used ample spray lube but it started digging in and leaving marks that I had to buff out. It mostly started digging in when I got to a round edge so maybe I was pushing too hard. I don't know. I'll give it another go when it's cooled down and in shade so my lubricant doesn't evaporate right off. The pains of living in an apartment with no garage...
Edit: also it was for my 2002 Taurus that has probably never had a clay bar treatment and scratches/swirls/rust galore!

Use clean car wash soap instead of detailer spray next time. If clay starts dragging, there's not enough lube.

Go easy on the pressure.

blupupher said:
rooflessVW said:
No shine. Mother's VLR is the anti-Armorall. Simply cleans and protects the original surface.

OK, I may give that a try then. it is like $12 on Amazon right now.

I used very little pressure, barely the weight of my arm, no additional pressure. Let the Speed Clay do the work.
I just wet the car with water, then sprayed detailer spray on the area I was working on.
Being hot and in the sun does not help for sure for any detail work.

Mothers VLR is good stuff. The best way to apply is to spray onto your microfiber towel and then wipe the surfaces down. It leaves a very low satin finish which is preferable to a glossy one as that will cause reflections. VLR is good on everything

Incredible job. I still have a speedclay 2.0 thats unopen I've intended to use on my 5 soon to be six year old Optima that needs a good claying but I catch the, 'Lazy' everytime I should get out and do a good decontamination of the paint. I can only hope mine will look as good as yours.

Nice post, good info on the clay bar.
I, for the first time used Turtle Wax Ice paste on our new to us 17 Traverse. Past cars I always used NuFinish (mostly) This one all black and didnt want to chance getting NuFinish on the flat black plastic which we know discolors it.

Anyway, Im sort of doing a test of Meguires Ultimate Synthetic Liquid and Turtle Wax Ice Paste. I just did half the roof (and roof rack) of the SUV with each to see how they hold up in the winter. Will be easy to compare.

With all that said. I liked the Turtle ICE Paste better then the Meguires. I found it more satisfying applying and removing, a little more effort maybe but the results felt more complete. The Meguires I had to keep going over the area when removing do blotching in order to get the black an even color.
I dont know, call me crazy but I liked the Ice the best. one thing that bothered me was, why was it so hard to buy the Turtle Wax Paste? Is using solid paste wax a thing of the past with all the spray and shine stuff? Tried the spray and wax, no thanks.
No stores near me carried Ice Paste so I ordered from Amazon.

I dont know, call me crazy but I liked the Ice the best. one thing that bothered me was, why was it so hard to buy the Turtle Wax Paste? Is using solid paste wax a thing of the past with all the spray and shine stuff? Tried the spray and wax, no thanks.
No stores near me carried Ice Paste so I ordered from Amazon.
Not sure what the deal is with the paste. I like it better than sprays as well, even though it is a little harder to apply, I think it looks and lasts much better.
I got my last thing of it from Amazon as well.

I also could not find the ICE paste so I ordered some, too. It was easy to apply and seemed to work well. I'm impressed with the ICE products overall, but the paste now sits in the bottom of my car care caddy along with the ICE liquid wax and several other pastes. Much easier to use ICE seal n shine once a year.

Back