Mother's headlight resoration kit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Tim H.
I used Mothers Mag Wheel polish on a whim.. And It Worked Very Good!!

Like I said, ANYTHING that has abrasives in it will work.

I used Meguire's Plast-X ($5.25 a bottle at Walmart) a few times last year. It did absolutely nothing. My headlight lenses were not even that bad. I expected a little improvement, but I got no noticeable change. The product might work if you don't follow the instructions and go John Wayne underground with it somehow.

Originally Posted By: EchoThat
I used Meguire's Plast-X ($5.25 a bottle at Walmart) a few times last year. It did absolutely nothing. My headlight lenses were not even that bad. I expected a little improvement, but I got no noticeable change. The product might work if you don't follow the instructions and go John Wayne underground with it somehow.

Same for me with Plast-x
I used a 3M product years ago and it woked well.
I'm gonna try a body supply house to try and find it.

I can't imagine any of these products working better than Barkeepers Friend, which is cheap and can be found anywhere (supermarket, China Mart). One caveat though: Be gentle on your drill. I was using BKF on my shower doors and after only a few minutes of polishing, my drill decided that it was time to check out. That smoke and horrible smell of burnt electronics was my expensive cordless drill dying. Piece of Skil garbage.

I wet-sand 1000,1500 then 2000, compound and polish to perfect clarity. The kits work pretty good if you don't have a buffer but have a drill.

I really don't buy this rub dirt on it and that will work [censored]. As I stated in the thread earlier. I've been doing this for years and have tried TONS of products. Probably even the worst of them 'helped' a little but in most cases either the lenses were hazy or the problem came back again in 2 months.
The absolute key for a successful job is wet sanding. Use any one of the "kits" on the market and you should be fine.

Well yeah, if you wait until the headlights look like hardboiled egg yolk or the cover to the light on your garage door operator, you can't expect a mild abrasive to do the job unless you want to devote half a day to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back