Most popular All-Season Tire for an AWD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Astro14
Nokian WR tires (I've got the G3 SUV on my truck, and had them on the Volvo XC) are excellent tires for all season use. Far superior to ANY other all season tires in snow/slush/slick performance.

Did you really want popular?

Or the best?

Because, in this case, it's not the same thing...the Nokians are from a small company but are simply the best in winter conditions.

Equally bad in warm and dry.
Emphasis on winter comes with price.

Well - I had the Bridgestone Dueler Alenza on the truck. Horrible in snow, unremarkable on the dry.

Now I have the Nokian WR G3 SUV on the truck. Great in snow.

I've not noticed the performance shortcomings in the dry, but then, it's a pickup truck and doesn't get pushed very hard.

Well - I had the Bridgestone Dueler Alenza on the truck. Horrible in snow, unremarkable on the dry.

I've not noticed the performance shortcomings in the dry, but then, it's a pickup truck and doesn't get pushed very hard.

WR G3 is borderline snow tire. Bridgestone Dualer's are also not remarkable tires in any aspect.

Originally Posted by edyvw

WR G3 is borderline snow tire. Bridgestone Dualer's are also not remarkable tires in any aspect.

WR G3 has 3PMS symbol, and in tests out performs many dedicated snow tires in the snow...

WIth that being a performance SUV, I would go with a Goodyear Eagle Sport with V rating or the Sumitomo HTR A/S P02 with V rating. Both are more reasonably priced than most others. I'd choose the Goodyear over the Sumitomo probably.

Originally Posted by Brigadier
Originally Posted by edyvw

WR G3 has 3PMS symbol, and in tests out performs many dedicated snow tires in the snow...

I've driven the WR G3 (Assymetric) through plenty of snow in a lowered FWD car. The limiting factor was ground clearance, as I have been high-centered in about a foot of fresh power a few years ago.

Is it going to be better than the Hakka R2 in the snow/ice? Of course not. It's not designed for it.

Is it going to be better in the dry road and wet road than the Hakka R2? Of course. It does have a UTQG rating of 500 A A.

The SUV version was 540 to 600, with traction/temperature of A A.

Consumer Reports did make that claim about the WR G3, but it was better than many of the less expensive studdable (but not studded) winter tires.

That's why I always say, with tires, you have to choose your compromises.

Had wonderful luck with Nokian WR G3 suv coupled to a 2007 MDX with Sh-AWD. It did not have much issue on snow covered roads, backing out of 9" deep driveway with 2' snowbank. Also my parking space was never plowed at ski mountain so 9" turned to 17" end of day. MDX just backed up.

Also able to maintain and pass cars on a few inches of snow at 45 mph winter speed limit.

They also performed admirably on slushy snow where they got rain on top of snowy roads on coast.

Just a day in life of Nokian WR G3 , my all-season tire
smile.gif

Id I had to contend with a fWD car, no thanks today with drifts alll about Id get the hardcore winter tires. Suv with Awd winter biased all seasons work however obviously hardcore winter tires better but how often needed? I was not left wanted or needing them in major east coat winter event.

Last edited:
I have had Michelin LTX MS, Toyo open country MT and AT, Cooper STT MAXX and ?ATR, BFG commercial AT, Matercraft courser AT, Hankook Dynapro RF10, Goodyear all terrain adventure with kevlar, and Duratracs all in load range E. The best in snow were Duratracs, Hankook RF10s and Goodyear ATRs with kevlar. Longest lasting Michelin but would get stuck on wet grass without 4wd. ST MAXX are real tough but not that great in the snow in my opinion.

Originally Posted by Bottom_Feeder
Originally Posted by -SyN-
Driving in the rain was similar to a slip & slide the other evening. (The Edge handled it well but the tires themselves were really struggling).

What does that mean?

Probably means his vehicle has a competent AWD system that compensated for the crap tires. My CX5 GT-R did similar this morning in snow with the A36 Toyos. Terrible tires, awesome AWD and stability systems.

Originally Posted by madRiver
Had wonderful luck with Nokian WR G3 suv coupled to a 2007 MDX with Sh-AWD. It did not have much issue on snow covered roads, backing out of 9" deep driveway with 2' snowbank. Also my parking space was never plowed at ski mountain so 9" turned to 17" end of day. MDX just backed up.

Also able to maintain and pass cars on a few inches of snow at 45 mph winter speed limit.

They also performed admirably on slushy snow where they got rain on top of snowy roads on coast.

Just a day in life of Nokian WR G3 , my all-season tire
smile.gif

Id I had to contend with a fWD car, no thanks today with drifts alll about Id get the hardcore winter tires. Suv with Awd winter biased all seasons work however obviously hardcore winter tires better but how often needed? I was not left wanted or needing them in major east coat winter event.

I had Nokian WRG3 SUV on my CX5. They lasted 18-19K miles and t he snowflake was gone (32), and were loud AF, had terrible traction in the rain, and were impossible to balance. Sadly I only hit a few patches of ice/packed snow with them as I put them on in Feb, and wore them out before snow happened in NOV. They were nothing special on that snow, either. For comparison, My CrossContact LX20's lasted me from 28K miles on the vehicle, to 78K miles, before 2/32 were left, and STILL did "not terrible" on snow and ice.

Also, the scumbags did not let me publish my above review (which was edited for profanity of any nature, or mention of competitor products) on their page, as I posted it and it never showed up...and now you know how they have some stupid 31/32 recommend this tire rating or whatever it is...selective publishing of reviews. Published said review MONTHS ago. Never saw their page. Also, if you buy from anyone but THEIR DEALER, they refuse to honor warranty.

Avoid Nokian, is my advice.

Also, thus ended my dependence on "magazine and professional reviews". CR said the tire should last 50 or 55K, as I recall. Not even half that. Said it was quiet. NOPE. Said a lot of stuff I found it to underperform at significantly.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Gixxer8989
I have Continental extremecontact DWS on 3 of my cars, all of them AND. Great in the summer and good for Canadian winter if need be.

Kind of an old thread, but I had a set of those on my 2004 WRX in 205/55R16. They were quiet but their handling was pretty poor. I would take a moderately hard turn and they would squeal.

My WRX has always had issues with inside shoulder wear on one side. Alignments can't seem to take care of the issue. I'll typically get about 30-35k miles on a set if I rotate them.

But the tires I had on this car include:

Bridgestone Potenza RE92 - factory tires and I couldn't get rid of them fast enough.

Pirelli PZero Nero M&S - whose idea was this to call it an all season tire? I tried it out in the snow and I'm lucky I didn't end up in a snowbank.

Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS - not the greatest dry performance tire, but quite good in the snow and wet.

Continental ExtremeContact DWS - never tried them out in the snow, but I noted that they squealed in hard cornering.

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 (and 3+) - best all-season tires I've ever used. Never driven through chain controls, but I did some driving of them on snow-covered parking lots. The dry traction is superior to pretty much any other all-season tire on the market. They're OK in the snow, but that's not what they're for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back