Most Durable and Dependable Cell Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Apple products are really well made. And you pay for that.
Ditto for the upscale Samsungs.

I just can't see spending $900 for a cellphone; especially when technology changes so fast.
I have a Google Pixel 3; I think it was around $400.

For a good cheaper cellphone, the Motorolls seem good.
Good luck.

I have a Moto Z3 and it has been great. Tough phone with gorilla glass and a battery that will last two days with normal use.

Durability is about more than just the case/screen (although that is the primary concern for a lot of people). My wife has had three Apple iDevices. Two of them have "bricked" due to some chip inside going bad. The iPad used to randomly reboot, and now refuses to power on entirely. The iPhone 6 died when the backlight driver for the screen konked out.

That one was interesting; you could still use the phone if you hooked it to the TV via HDMI. But you were blind-touching the screen. And to add insult to injury, the day after that happened, my toddler child wet herself, which leaked through the floor and dripped onto the cable modem which was on the rack in the basement directly below. So we had to order a new cable modem using the broken phone attached to the TV, typing in credit card numbers by trial and error, and passwords completely blind.

You can't make this stuff up.

That seems pretty unusual, although one never really knows that ends up bricking a device. My family of four has had all Apple devices since the iPhone 3G, plus we have several Macbook Pros, several iPods and iPads, and two Mac Mini. None have ever bricked like that. I did have a hard drive die on one Macbook though. My old PowerMac 9500 is still running on a a legacy Microdry printer I use for hobby purposes.

Google Pixels seem to be pretty solid. My good friend is still using a Pixel 1 and has no issues except that its battery life is now beginning to get short due to age. He's going to upgrade to a Pixel 4. I've got a Pixel 3XL and it has been great, although I did crack the screen on a bad drop. Sad thing is that I had a screen protector on it the day before and peeled it off in preparation for applying a new one. Great timing.

I've not seen a brand that was immune to cracked screens.

At one time, I considered a Cat phone. I'd read great things about their ruggedness and performance, but they weren't compatible with Verizon. I also don't know if they are still out there. It was a small British company, but they had rave reviews. The Cat tractor company put their name on them or sold them the rights to use the name.

I can only attest that iPhone's are well built and durable. Some of the cost of purchase is in the actual build quality not Apple fluff.

My brother and mum still rock iPhone 5s and they look and work well. We are still using old iPad's and iPhone 4 as music players in the family.

Originally Posted by Donald
I think there are phones built for construction guys but cannot remember the brand/model.

My brother in law has had the best luck with a defender case on iPhone. He runs excavators and jumps into ditches installs drain, sewer and water and flips to laborer for federal jobs. The cheap Androids don't hold up. He never owned a Samsung.

He comes home completed wet and covered in mud at times and his iPhone is in pocket.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Yeah, my old Motorola Tundra was a tough hombre - but love my (many) apple devices these days …

Ya, I am a apple guy myself...I just picked up a new in box 8 last week. As much as I love apple, the past few years I've got to point where the new releases really do not have any new features that would warrant me the justification of spending over 1000 bucks...that novelty has worn off with age.

My moto Turbo droid 2 has shatterproof screen, still only needs every other day charging with 6 hour phone calls
and will be 4 years old this Xmas.

my next one is G7 power - gets you 4 for the price of the latest s10+/11 - and has the largest battery but
no shatterproof screen.

BUT as always, brand loyalty rulz. even in my case.

Originally Posted by DB_Cooper
My daughter is/was a great destroyer of cell phones. Inside a week her I-Phone was broken. Samsungs lasted not much longer. The solution was a Kyocera Duraforce pro two. Not as nice a display/screen but an indestructible and reliable phone. She has had it for almost two years.

It depends on what you want.

I am very hard on phones and have broken my fair share of Apple and Samsung products. The ONLY phone I have not broken is the Kyocera Duraforce Pro 2.

I've used a Samsung phones for years without any issue. Presently a Note 8. I do keep a phone 3-4 years, though.

Personal experience is apple and motos tend to be reliable and durable. They'll all crack the screen under the right (or wrong?) impact.

My cheapo moto e5 supra has an incredible battery life compared to even the latest model apple in our house (iPhone XR).

Last edited:
I have a 2014 (5 years old) HTC one m8 that I still use as a music player and GPS speedometer, as well as backup phone. The battery still holds a decent charge (over 90% health if you can believe accubattery app). It's had a single crack across the screen since I bought it used 2 or 3 years ago. It hasn't gotten worse. I never have a case on it and have dropped it a few times and it didn't change the already existing crack. The body is so dented it looks like it fell down some stairs before I got it. Everything still functions.

My newer phone is a pixel XL from 2017 I bought used after I drowned my OnePlus 5 in the ocean. I've used it for for maybe 5 months now and it's great but I'm going back to the OnePlus 5 because it's dual SIM and I hate carrying around my work phone (a Samsung Galaxy x cover 4). The x cover is meant to be a heavy duty phone (I do land surveying/construction layout which is hard on a phone). It has no case and it holds up pretty well but it's kind of a crappy phone although Samsung surprised me and gave it the new One UI update. It's a budget phone with a slower processor so it feels really laggy compared to my Pixel.

At work, the Samsungs seem to be fragile - the OLED screens tend to be more delicate than LCDs. Physically, they're surprisingly good since they ditched plastic chassis on the Galaxy S line. Dare I say, my work S10e feels and looks like a better phone than my iPhone 11.

With that said, I've only killed an iPhone out of stupidity. My brother was on a 4 year old Samsung Galaxy Alpha. He now has a Galaxy A10e, the loophole of buying Walmart Family Mobile phones and using T-Mobile SIMs in them is no more.

If your going to spend a lot, why not a new iPhone? Its waterproof too, depending on model, some up to almost 12 feet. Though the less expensive are 3 to 6 feet, more then enough for the rain and accidental jump in a pool.

If your going to spend a lot LESS, Huawei or Motorola and at $200 or less, EASY to replace every time you wreck one, so who needs "durable" ... when you can just throw the phone away if you wreck it and buy a new one and still be ahead of the game instead of spending a lot of money based on "durability"
Not only that but by spending less, it also becomes "loss proof" if you lose it, who cares? At $200 you can lose up to 5 phones before spending as much as a claimed more "durable" phone ... :eek:)

Last edited:
You can spend $449 on an iPhone 8 brand new and get the excellent build quality with older tech.

iPhones are not all $1000 each.....

Originally Posted by madRiver
You can spend $449 on an iPhone 8 brand new and get the excellent build quality with older tech.

$449 is a rip too.
Lenovo/Moto G phones are plenty good for 99% of what people use phones for and can be had for $150 or less.
We always buy lagging tech. Much cheaper in the long run.

iPhones are supported for a long time with software updates. Even after that they are usable. As for durability, put a rugged case protection on it.

Originally Posted by surfstar
Originally Posted by madRiver

$449 is a rip too.
Lenovo/Moto G phones are plenty good for 99% of what people use phones for and can be had for $150 or less.
We always buy lagging tech. Much cheaper in the long run.

True. But people who want an iPhone will be incredibly unhappy with a cheap android. Not to mention that an iPhone 8 runs circles performance wise around the Lenovo/Moto G phones. What's software update support like on the Moto G/Lenovo phones? iOS supports all the way back to the 2015 iPhone 6S/6S+.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back