MOS2 in fuel tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only bad things can happen. Truth is that for most modern cars, it's a bad idea. If you have small engines, such as mowers or snow blowers, it can be useful.

I can think of no benefits from this. Sure wouldn't be good for filters or injectors. Probably bad for catalytic converters.

Only a good idea if your injectors are spraying too much fuel. I'm sure once all the injectors are thoroughly clogged, your fuel consumption certainly is bound to decrease....

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
Maybe in carbureted 2 strokes....

Anything with injectors....a big NO NOOO!!!!

Really? In carb'ed tw0-stroke engines..? You sure about that? Never heard of that one before now.

John.

Want MoS2 in fuel? No! Try Gumout w/ Regane or Redline Si-1.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Reg# 43897
Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
Maybe in carbureted 2 strokes....

Anything with injectors....a big NO NOOO!!!!

Really? In carb'ed tw0-stroke engines..? You sure about that? Never heard of that one before now.

John.

Brace yourself
smile.gif

Quote:
Examples of applications of MoS
2-based lubricants include two-stroke engines (such as motorcycle engines), bicycle coaster brakes, automotive CV and universal joints, ski waxes,[21] and even bullets

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molybdenum_disulfide

Although I think that could be WW2 relic...

Last edited:
I know of someone who uses MoS2 in his common rail diesel fuel.

And graphited fuel additives are around. Nothing clogs as those small injector nozzles on a diesel are over 100 times wider than the graphite/Mos2 particles are sized. In a gas injector the nozzle size is significantly bigger.

Wether it's beneficial or not is another matter, the MoS2 diesel is still running AFAIK and has over 2 times the typical mileage now. I'll try to get in touch with the owner

I'm not so worried about the fuel filter, and even less for injectors, but for the DPF. If the particles don't get embedded in the fuel pumps and injectors, they'll make their way into the DPF and clog it. So one has to find the right amount of MoS2 to put in. Enough to protect the pumps and injectors, but to not clog the DPF.

No, they don't.. I know for a fact the particles pass right through a dpf... they do coat the tailpipe in what could be mistaken for soot. the particles are simply much smaller than the pores in the dpf.

Anyway, it seems I found the car that was running MoS2 in it. Sadly, theMoS2 didn't do anything to protect the sills which rusted through last year, so the car is being scrapped. 250k miles on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back