Moron = Moly + Boron (Valvoline Synpower)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just tried the Valvoline Synpower and am finding some significant increases in fuel economy. Anyone else find this?

I dunno yet
confused.gif
I just dumped some in my guinea pig after it was put back together after sititing open for a month. I track mileage continually, so I'll find out.

I think my millage went down a few tens when I used 5 oz in a 4.5 quart engine. I measure my gas millage over ~ 3 tanks so I'm sure it went doen some small amount.

I went from 16.7 to 17.7 mpg city on a 4.6 Ford, but I don't know how much of that was from the ring pack cleaning out. I posted about this here with the details:
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=011418

I also went from 10.2 to 11 mpg in my 440 Mopar, both were in the first tank.

It will take a while to see if both are flukes or not. From what I was reading about moly, once you get a good coating, the rest stays in suspension. It might be possible to "shock" the motor with a full bottle the first time, then drop down to 1oz per quart as Molakule recommended to keep the moly level saturated. Looking through the old posts, everyone that did a full bottle for the first time stated they were impressed, but those that didn't do the full bottle didn't see much difference.

quote:

Originally posted by nickmckinney:
I went from 16.7 to 17.7 mpg city on a 4.6 Ford, but I don't know how much of that was from the ring pack cleaning out. I posted about this here with the details:
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=011418

I also went from 10.2 to 11 mpg in my 440 Mopar, both were in the first tank.

It will take a while to see if both are flukes or not. From what I was reading about moly, once you get a good coating, the rest stays in suspension. It might be possible to "shock" the motor with a full bottle the first time, then drop down to 1oz per quart as Molakule recommended to keep the moly level saturated. Looking through the old posts, everyone that did a full bottle for the first time stated they were impressed, but those that didn't do the full bottle didn't see much difference.

mmm, for an iexpensive way to shock with Moly then, just add a bottle of this to some Mystik HDEO, might get up in the Redline numbers of ppm with Moly that way
tongue.gif

quote:

Just tried the Valvoline Synpower and am finding some significant increases in fuel economy. Anyone else find this?

From the topic I thought you were talking about Synpower Oil Treatment, but from this post it sounds like you are talking about Synpower Motor Oil.
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by TallPaul:

quote:

From the topic I thought you were talking about Synpower Oil Treatment, but from this post it sounds like you are talking about Synpower Motor Oil.
dunno.gif

Nope its the oil treatment version, the thick rusty stuff.

Maybe the extra moly, which is helping act as friction modifier, improving fuel economy?
confused.gif

Michael

Why would thinner oil be better? It seems that THICKER oil would be much superior from a fuel economy standpoint. Let me explain-

Thicker oil prevents your engine from turning higher RPM's; therefore, by reducing the amount of RPM's you reduce fuel consumption.

grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Semi-OT: Apparently VSOT is still available, just snagged two more bottles for my stash!!!

quote:

Originally posted by Gary Allan:
but can it even compensate for the added viscosity
dunno.gif

If the mileage stays the same, it might have on the 4.6 test. Hard to say on the 440 either, but that car didn't care what oil was in the pan gas mileage wise, 10W30 was the same as 20W50.

quote:

Originally posted by Michael Wan:
Maybe the extra moly, which is helping act as friction modifier, improving fuel economy?
confused.gif

Michael

Thats what I am hoping for, a real world difference. Otherwise I am not an additive kinda guy.

My '03 Expedition 5.4L, usually gets 14 maybe 14.5 around town mixed hwy/local streets in the spring. I did hit 15.5 w/synpower. Now with AC on 100% of the time, getting 14 again. I think it helped some on the mileage. Using MC 5w-20 base oil. Would be interested in seeing any results from smaller 4 cyl vehicle.

does the "red" bottle that reads "high milage" made by valvoline contain the same moly quantities?

i picked up a red bottle at wallmart the other day cause i couldn't find the silver one everyone talks about here... it lists on the bottle "best friction reducer" in it's own wording, the same as the silver bottle as i remember... My engine has 174k on it, so i think it qualifies for a high milage version anyways.

quote:

Originally posted by mdocod:
does the "red" bottle that reads "high milage" made by valvoline contain the same moly quantities?

i picked up a red bottle at wallmart the other day cause i couldn't find the silver one everyone talks about here... it lists on the bottle "best friction reducer" in it's own wording, the same as the silver bottle as i remember... My engine has 174k on it, so i think it qualifies for a high milage version anyways.

Don't know if its the same but the only place I have found the silver bottle is Pep Boys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back