More upgrade questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

In yet another direction I'm considering (I want to vet all options), it appears that I was originally incorrect in thinking my Dell Dimension E521 will take only 4 GB of RAM. It appears that with the latest BIOS revision, it will actually accept 8 GB. So that leads me to wonder just where I can go with this particular system.

Say I can take it to 8 GB of RAM. That'd cost me about $50, for 4 x 2 GB DDR2 modules. The CPU is currently an AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ "Windsor". That's on Socket AM2. Is any AMD Athlon 64 X2 "Windsor" processor interchangeable? The line runs from my 3800+ (which runs at 2000 MHz) up to the 6400+ (which runs at 3200 MHz). They are not sold anymore, but appear to be available fairly readily used or new-in-box on eBay.

Even if I did just the RAM, I think I would see a healthy improvement. But if the CPU were easily interchangeable as well, that may be a relatively low-cost option for significantly extending the usability of his current computer (of which I have previously said is still 100% serviceable).

I could/would also look at a PSU upgrade, keeping in mind that the pin-out is likely Dell-specific.

Anyway, just some more thoughts. My wife was already questioning me building a new computer (current one still works), so this may allow me another option to improve speed while minimizing the financial outlay.

Here's a forum that had your question about the cpu upgrade http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/248505-28-athlon-upgrade-compatability-question

I used to upgrade pieces of my pc, not anymore though. It's fun to work on pcs just like cars, but unless you upgrade everything at the same time, the parts you didn't upgrade will probably become the new bottleneck in your system. These days I just buy a new pc with the latest generation of cpu/gpu/hd/memory all at the same time. And if you haven't used ssd before, they are big jumps from regular disk hard drives as the main boot drive.

@wkcars: Thanks for the link. This is the family computer, used mostly for internet surfing, email, Excel budgets, etc. I think my purpose is to make it moderately fast on Windows 7. I know I can put 7 on it now and it'd be completely workable. It may even run a tad better than it does now on XP MCE. I don't really "game" on it, except for light weight games like SimCity every now and again.

@Colt42ws: I think I agree, I would want to stay under 89W TDP. Maybe I can find one of the "Energy Efficient" Windsor models, and bring it up to 2.6 GHz. Or maybe even that isn't worth the cost or hassle, I don't know.

If it was me I would skip the ram and cpu upgrade and put that money towards a ssd as a boot/main drive and use your current hard drive as a storage drive for your files and software, you will get the biggest noticable speed increase from that ssd upgrade. A 60 or 64 gb ssd is quite cheap these days, even a 80gb sometimes goes on sale on newegg for like $70-80.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back