More speaker upgrades

Leamington, ON, CA - between Detroit and Cleveland
Last year I rescued a pair of Allison AL-120 speakers from going to the dumpster at the local thrift shop.
I removed and repaired the two discintigrated surround 6 1/2" drivers from each cabinet and refoamed them.
The AL-120 is a cool design that uses push-pull drivers as woofers & lower midrange speakers.
The speakers worked quite well but recently I replaced the electrolytic capacitors in the cross-overs and they are like new speakers !
Sorry I didn't get a shot of the completed crossover - I used audio grade 240uf EL capacitor and polyester 6.8uf tweeter cap
Very clear/clean/crisp/tight true sound ... thank you Roy F. Allison for making a great speaker :cool:

pic1.JPG
pic2.JPG
pic3.JPG

Nice to see a good speaker system saved and not going to the landfill. Young folks don't appreciate the components of yesteryear.

Never seen such a design. Is the polarity reversed on that bottom woofer? I fail to see how it works otherwise as the speakers' phase would cancel each other out.

I enjoy refurbishing old loudspeakers that I pick up at thrift stores. Sadly, most of the Goodwills around me have pretty much eliminated the electronics section, no idea why. You might find an older flatscreen TV or two, but gone are the endless arrays of tape decks, record players, speakers and stereos they used to always have. I made a pretty penny years ago buying old thrift store tape decks and reselling them on Ebay. If you can find a 3 head deck they go for a lot of money.

Back