More "InSourcing" at Ford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ford may hire 400 for Wayne

"Ford could hire more than 400 entry-level workers to in-source the assembly of auto parts at a former assembly plant in Wayne to support Focus production at Michigan Assembly Plant, said Bill Johnson, plant chairman for UAW Local 900.

"It is rather groundbreaking," Johnson said. "We opened the door with that entry-level wage, and I hope we can put 400 to 600 workers in that plant."

Ford would not confirm the number of jobs that might be created.

However, Ford's commitment to in-source -- excluding the number of potential jobs -- is outlined in a March 1 letter obtained by the Free Press. It's part of a local labor contract the automaker reached with UAW Local 900 late last year.

The work could include the assembly of instrument panels, seats, stampings, subassemblies, and parts packaging and sequencing, according to the letter. Ford agreed to add the jobs, the letter says, "if it is established that certain work can be performed competitively."

Ford makes a lot of truck parts in Canada. I saw a lot of frames coming out of Ontario a few years back. The biggest thing concerning me is the lowering of the domestic parts content in recent years. Just last year, the Focus had 90% domestic parts, now it's in the 60% range. That's a huge drop. It's not just Ford doing it, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back