More GMT800 talk, 02-06 AWD Escalade Transfer Case

Looking through GMT800 trucks and SUVs lately. The 02-06 Escalade AWD system -- I know very little about. I don't see a 4WD or Auto 4WD switch on the dash at all.

I have heard that the transfer case in these isn't great. Is this true? Do they stay in AWD all of the time?

Looks like AWD xfer case, obviously depends on year/engine/options and GM shenanigans.

If its working fine, I would upgrade to full synthetic ATF. If previous owner didn't take care of it, you might need to rebuild. I for one will say that many owners are not that great and try not to blame a neglected component for issues.

Looks like open diffs all around with traction control assistance, and no low range that most will never use on the street anyway.

The Borg Warner (BW) model 4481, RPO NR3 transfer case is a one-speed, full time, all wheel drive (AWD), transfer case. The transfer case provides power to both axles, through an external planetary type differential, which has two different sets of pinion gears. The planetary differential provides a 40/60 torque split, front/rear, full time. This means both axles are constantly being driven for maximum traction in all conditions.

The transfer case external type planetary differential functions the same as a typical rear axle differential. The transfer case differential pinion gears function as the spider gears, and the sun gears function as the side gears.

The following actions occur because of the planetary differential:

•If the vehicle is on a hoist, the front propeller shaft can be rotated by hand.
•The vehicle cannot be driven if one propeller shaft is removed.
•Operating the vehicle on the hoist can damage the differential pinion gears, by over-spinning.
•Operating the vehicle with one propeller shaft removed causes over-spinning of the differential pinion gears.
The BW 4481 design of the planetary differential allows the use with the Vehicle Stability Enhancement System (VSES) vehicles. The VSES takes use of the planetary differential, by applying braking to a tire that has less traction and dividing the engine torque to the other axle.

The BW 4481 case halves are high-pressure, die-cast magnesium. Ball bearings support the input shaft, the front output shaft, and the rear output shaft. The transfer case requires DEXRON®III ATF GM P/N 12378470 (Canadian P/N 10952622), which is red in color.

It's nearly identical to the BW4485 in my Yukon. I put a chain and bearings in mine around 185,000 miles. There was a little chain strech, but other than that, it was in great condition. Most people never change the fluid, and that causes premature failure. It does work well in the snow for me, at least.

Depending on the year it will have the BW4481 or the NP149 - which is the better unit with visous couplings.

NR3 is the 4481
NP3 is the 149

...until the viscous coupling fails and needs replacing.
Traction control works well enough without needing the 149. I find the 4481 works just fine.
I don't care for a truck without a low range.

I would shop for the least abused and best maintained vehicle and not worry about either case. Maintain them and rebuild as needed.

After looking into these more, I am still trying to fully understand them. I guess I am trying to figure out how well they would compare to a truck in 4High. If that capability is similar, I'd be pleased.

Not exactly. Due to the planetary in the transfer case, the vehicle would be immobilized if the front or rear driveshaft fails or is removed. A truck with part time 4wd could be limped home in this scenario.

Back