More fun with gas prices ( pic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That I should move to So-Cal

According to LA Times, declining due too:

The state’s population declined by 173,000 between July 1, 2020, and July 1, 2021, bringing the estimated total population to 39.37 million, according to estimates released by the state Department of Finance on Friday. The 0.44% decline is slightly less than the population loss reported for 2020, demographers said.

Three main factors contributed to California’s net population loss, demographers found: a continued decline in birthrates; fewer foreign immigrants, which officials attributed to federal policy in recent years; and more than 55,000 pandemic-related deaths.

Officials also attributed the decrease to the loss of 53,000 international students because of pandemic restrictions, as well as declines in domestic in-migration.

So really, they're just kind of stagnant right now.

There are about 332M people in the US and about 39.5M in CA, or about 12% of the population.
It is 81* outside right now, probably at least that at the Super Bowl today.
You should have seen the Pacific yesterday! Simply stunning with the sun shining on it. We went for coffee in the Model 3 and ended up in La Honda and San Gregorio (pop. 214). A perfect day to get lost on route 84.... This is basically due west of where we live.
1644797272037.jpg

There are about 332M people in the US and about 39.5M in CA, or about 12% of the population.
It is 81* outside right now, probably at least that at the Super Bowl today.
You should have seen the Pacific yesterday! Simply stunning with the sun shining on it. We went for coffee in the Model 3 and ended up in La Honda and San Gregorio (pop. 214). A perfect day to get lost on route 84.... This is basically due west of where we live.
View attachment 88840
Very nice. Hawaii is nice and expensive too. Pay to live in nice areas wherever you live

I just paid $4.59 for 91* Premium at a San Jose Costco. I think rag was $4.39, but I didnt really look.
Most stations are about $5 for Premium.
I paid $2.99 at Costco here in South Carolina yesterday.
Gas prices are determined by state and local taxes. I think the fuel itself is pretty cheap and had gone up less than the rate of inflation since 1973

And what does that chart prove? 2020 was 2 years ago.

I've never seen $2 a gallon difference between octane tiers. You'd think at $9/ gallon it would be fairly stale sitting as nobody in their right mind would pay that. That's knocking on British gas prices.

Gas prices are determined by state and local taxes. I think the fuel itself is pretty cheap and had gone up less than the rate of inflation since 1973
Same in Minnesota. $2.99 for 87. According to my records, I was paying more in late 2018 than I ever did in 2021 or so far in 2022.

Is there any social life available for the people who work at that station? If not, it may be that the owner has to pay extremely high wages to the help in order to keep the turn-over rate low enough to be able to keep the place open. There are a lot of people who will quickly get tired of working any place where there is nothing to do worthwhile when they are not at work. And if you top that off with heat, and hot sun during the day that makes walking any distance a life endangering event, that can get old really quick.

Congressional seats tell the entire story about population. Gain a seat, that state is growing. Lose a seat, that state is unhealthy in population growth. It is that simple.

For the first time in its history, California will lose a seat in the U.S. House of Representatives after early results from the 2020 census released Monday showed the state’s population hasn’t grown as fast as the populations of other states.

Disclaimer- if I win the lotto I am moving to California.

Congressional seats tell the entire story about population. Gain a seat, that state is growing. Lose a seat, that state is unhealthy in population growth. It is that simple.

For the first time in its history, California will lose a seat in the U.S. House of Representatives after early results from the 2020 census released Monday showed the state’s population hasn’t grown as fast as the populations of other states.

Disclaimer- if I win the lotto I am moving to California.
People come to CA to win the lotto. Opportunity abounds, even for a person who has made as many mistakes as I have.
Gas, and all energy except solar, is expensive though. CA average is $4.70 vs US average of $3.49.

Of course. Not to mention the insane gas company profits right now. As long as we will pay, they will keep rising.
Big Oil Profits

that diesel is pretty cheap.. diesel is 4$ here.
gas just triple jumped.. sams is 3.13 about the cheapest.. luckily their 93 is 3.43 currently.

Looks like Charlie's General Store advocates price gouging. I wonder what he charges for a hot dog?
is it gouging if its a small store and last stop before death valley?

Otherwise is that gas station gouging you on milk compared to walmart?

Of course. Not to mention the insane gas company profits right now. As long as we will pay, they will keep rising.
Big Oil Profits
I have no problem with companies making a profit, that's why they are in business. Its also why 10's of thousands of Americans invest in companies and mutual funds for retirement.

The profit margins are very low compared to even the computer you are using to read this post. Your state, local and federal government make way more money on a gallon of gas then does the oil company. Oil company mark up per gallon of gas is around 7%

The link you provide is a half piece of information. (not directed at you) Its sounds dramatic but the profit is small per gallon and even if it wasnt, so what. Again, its the whatever is posted on the internet must be true and complete information syndrome.

Furthermore gas and oil is bought by Wall Street traders whose also re-sell at a higher market price (commodities) and if lucky make WAY more per gallon of gasoline but the fact remains, states gouge the public with taxes and blame the oil companies when times get tight. They dont blame government policies influencing the price or government inefficiency. Lets be real CA (its undeniable) certainly has a war on fossil fuels and the voters are ok with that but they do pay the price.
This is repeatably made obnoxious by the prices of a gallon of gas in some states which other states the cost is 100% higher.
That is really all one in a high gasoline states needs to know. Some states $3.00 a gallon, other states $5.00 a gallon. The average is $3.35

Last edited:
Looks like Charlie's General Store advocates price gouging. I wonder what he charges for a hot dog?
Doesn't have hot dogs. Had a few bags of chips,sodas etc. There is an excellent restaurant right across the street. Best burger I have had in a long time. It's there where we sat and watched people fill up their tanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20220212_192558240.jpg
    IMG_20220212_192558240.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 27
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back