More Aged Oil!

From my deceased father I have a few cases of this Pennzoil 30W that has always been in a climate controlled basement (65-75 degrees)
Earlier today I call Pennzoil, the rep tells me the oil pictured was in production from 1988-1996 and to not use it and he tells me > > > "our oil has a four-year shelf life". Maybe he stated that as to not be liable?
I stated it was always stored indoors, no freezing etc. The rep said > > > "the additive package drops out of it."
When I pour out some of the oil I see a dark residue at the bottom... if I shake it up, it's gone.
So, by shaking the bottles isn't that putting the additive package back into suspension and how does an additive package degrade from age?
Anyhow, I hate to toss it and would like to use it in the Lawnmower etc. but won't 'if' it will damage to an engine.
Your opinion is appreciated, thanks!
thumbnail_20221118_224011.jpg
thumbnail_20221118_224024.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That sediment at the bottom of the bottle used to happen even with modern PYB just a few years ago. Not sure if it happens with Platinum.

Any VOAs I've seen in vintage oils have shown that the oil is still perfectly fine. As long as it was stored well (which it has been) then personally I would use that oil in a lawnmower without hesitation, but that's just me.

The oil is rated API SJ which was an older API spec.

Back in its era, it was a good oil and had the cyclopentane (Z7) component which was also used in NASA vehicles. That Z7 component was eventually dropped for various reasons.

I too would use it in any of my Outdoor Equipment (OE) engines without question.

My dad ran all of his vehicles at the time on the Z7 10W30 version with good results.

Yes just shake the bottle and then use it. According to the PQIA they show that SJ as still current/active and good for vehicles made up to the 2000 model year but then switches to SL for 2001+. Most lawnmowers especially the older Briggs all show SG/SH for their recommendations anyways.

PCEOImgForRC.jpg

That is the Pennzoil that was on the shelf when I started driving…remember those bottles well. Ran a lot of that in my early cars without problem, it is/was a good oil.
I’d run it in the summer without a second thought!

That sediment at the bottom of the bottle used to happen even with modern PYB just a few years ago. Not sure if it happens with Platinum.

Any VOAs I've seen in vintage oils have shown that the oil is still perfectly fine. As long as it was stored well (which it has been) then personally I would use that oil in a lawnmower without hesitation, but that's just me.
"PYB" ???
Pardon my ignorance and is the 'sediment' the additive package?

Thank you for all the replies... very helpful!
Suppose I should check what my 6 year old Lawnmower B&G engine requires for API Oil requirments.

"PYB" ???
Pardon my ignorance and is the 'sediment' the additive package?
Pennzoil Yellow Bottle.

Some of the sediment is most likely the calcium-magnesium detergent-dispersant component of the DI additive package, not the whole additive package.

Warm it up, shake it, and use it.

That black stripe over yellow label was first used around 1995 and ran through the early 2000s. That color scheme was used on trucks, race cars, signage, what have you. Intentionally or not, it coincides with the period of SJ being the current spec.

There should be an alpha numeric code containing about five characters printed on the bottom of the bottle and/or the side of the box. If you post it here, we can tell you the day it was packaged.

Back