Mopar P/S fluid compatible with generic P/S fludis?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although not a scientific answer, I have mixed Mopar and generic P/S fluid with no apparent problems over about 30,000 miles. I will say though, that the pump and rack were already worn(noise & poor wheel return) prior to adding it(generic), so I knew I would be replacing parts soon.
Mopar now specs ATF+4 fluid for it's P/S systems. The design of the components appears to be the SAME, so this leads me to believe that the ATF+4 is an improvement and could/should be used in older systems that call for Mopar P/S fluid. For example, my 97' LHS calls for Mopar P/S fluid, but, the 00' shop manual(I use the 00' s/m because the price was right) says: use "only ATF+4"; both years use the same pump and rack & pinion(different part #'s though, the mounting holes are slightly different).

FWIW
I've since installed a new rack and pump; I'm shooting for maximum life, so I'm trying Amsoil universal ATF, which carries the ATF+4 rating.

Interesting, 69. Thanks for the reply.

So how 'bout this. If we accept your assumption to be true, can we safely say that ATF +3 would be safe in the same application? Or do the ATF +4 properties differ significantly from ATF +3? ATF +4 is backwards compatible, perhaps ATF +3 would be appropriate in an older vehicle such as mine.

-Paul

I've searched and came up empty handed.

It's been asked before by others, and no clear response has been given.

The question remains whether Mopar P/S fluid is compatible with generic P/S fluids. Are there any clear differences that would prevent one from using the generic stuff in a Chrysler power steering pump?

If so, what are those differences?

-Paul

ATF+4
Service and Operator's manuals for my 2003 Jeep Wrangler specify ATF+4 for the auto trans (If you have one), transfer case and power steering.
Both manuals strongly emphasize using only ATF+4 in the power steering system.
For the auto trans, you absolutely should use only ATF+4.
For the transfer case, you absolutely do NOT need to use it. ANY quality DexronIII/Mercon fluid will work just fine.
For the power steering system, which rarely, if ever, gets a fluid change, nobody seems to know why ATF+4 is required. However, considering how infrequently fluid is needed and how little fluid is required, it probably makes sense to stick with the ATF+4.
From an assembly line and inventory point of view, it makes sense to have to use as few fluids as possible. Using ATF+4 in everything possible just makes DCX's life easier.
Thanks.

THeir was a TSB about 4 years ago covering just about everything DC makes. THe ATF+4 gave better hot and cold tempature performance then the PS fluid in use. They recomedned that all vechiles be switched over to ATF+4 when they required serviceing.

Do not use ATF+3! ATF+4 exsists because of so many cheap ATF+3 knock off on the market. ATF+4 is what I would call semi-synthetic and it has a really beefy additive package for an OEM ATF!

I used Redlines version called C+ATF in my 2001 Dakota!

The tech data sheet for Pennzoil Power Steering Fluid does a good job of breaking down vehicle power steering applications between "generic" power steering fluid (Pennzoil brand), Type F ATF, and Dex/Merc ATF. The answer to your question depends on what year and model Mopar. If a given fluid is claimed to be appropriate for your ride, I'd assume it's compatible with whatever fluid that's currently in there unless proven otherwise.
http://www.pennzoil.com/products/ancillary/power_steering.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back