Mopar Oil Filters..Any Good ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does everyone think of the Mopar oil filters ??
Also what filter number goes into a 96 Plymouth Grand Voyager 3.3 ?
This is a relatives car now and he called and asked me and i did not know what number Mopar filter it took
I know purolator is pl-14670

Last edited:
I believe that Mopar filters can vary depending on who was the low bidder when they produced your particular lot. :)

Also, any filter with "4670" in the part number is actually produced by Champion Labs, I think.

Best,

Right now Purolator is the supplier for the OEM Mopar filters. They will do fine, and are a very good filter. You just pay a little more for the Mopar name on the can.

Is it the pure one or the classic? He paid $5.44 at wal mart
pureone was $6.39 which is priced much too high ...i sometimes use the group 7 which is a purolator classic we pay under $2.00 each for them in the shop

I've used mopar filters in my 4.7 Durango. Cut one open and it looked like a well made filter. I've switched, though, because the Wal-mart price of $5 struck me as kinda pricey for what you're getting.

Now I'm running Napa golds that I can pick up for just over $4 when they put 'em on sale a couple times a year. I'd also run Purolator classics for around $3(sometimes with a rebate).

I also remember reading that many mopar oil filters are re-badged classics anyway. I don't know if it's just some filter P/N's or what.

I've got the mopar for my Grand Cherokee cut on my site, as well as the comparative Luber for it. Overall a very good looking filter. Double the price of the Luber. Right now I'm back to the Mopar because it is the only one available in the country.

filters cut open

I use the Purolator Classic too, and have had absolutely no problems with them. I also used Napa Proselects and Carquest Red Label filters too, didn't really have any problems with those either but the Purolator seems to flow better and I have less fluctuation on my oil pressure gauge. I think the Puro CLassic is a better filter. This is on my Dodge Dakota with the 3.9 V6.

Just my 2 cents worth here.

Yup, Mopars are made in batches by the lowest bidder. If the current maker is Purolator, I'd assume they're the same as the Classic & happily run them. But I wouldn't pay extra for the Mopar name.

Other filters for your applications; AC-Delco PF-13; Motorcraft FL-300; Wix 51085; and for reference purposes only, Fram PH-16.

No, I'm not walking filter reference. It's just that since late 1975 I've continuously owned something using that particular filter.

haha great info thanks i will probably use the group 7 because they are purolator classics and we pay under $2.00 each for them i would like to use the pureone but three things stop me first they got pricey second they have that yellow sand that flakes off third (im not convinced of this one) but i wonder about the flow especially in the winter

The Mopar appears to be a well made filter at least the apps I've seen selling in WM. Like the one in the pic, it is Purolator made. As for efficiency, the OEM's are generally proprietary when it come to listing oil filter efficiency. To say it's a Classic or a Pure One is just speculation. I wouldn't think it's the equal of the P1 @99.9%. That said, based on costruction I wouldn't have any issues using it for a recommended OCI.

Quote:
i sometimes use the group 7 which is a purolator classic we pay under $2.00 each
Can you provide a cite source stating that the Group7 filter is 97.5% @20 microns. As with other commercial accounts, they are likely closer the current Advance Auto ProMotive, old PowerFlo's, AAP Total Grip or PB ProLine with slightly less media and lower efficiency (~90-94%). Nothing wrong with them for standard OCI, but not a Classic in efficiency.

MoparOEMFilter.jpg

no i cant i have cut them open and they seem like a classic but i will cut one open next week and compare and try to post my findings
Thank you for the pictures
I was thinking of telling him to use a motorcraft also he is pretty far from me

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back