Mopar M0-090 filter cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased this filter a wee while ago to help service a friend's Chrysler. He had it done elsewhere, and I couldn't return it (he didn't want it either), so it was lying around. I reckoned it might be worth while dissecting it and posting some pictures.

Here is the filter right out the box:

dsc00614.jpg

Top view:
dsc00617.jpg

Bottom half of the filter:

dsc00618.jpg

I found the small thread wrapping to be rather odd:

dsc00615.jpg

And this was even more bizarre:

dsc00616.jpg

A rather weird and wonderful construction, so to speak.

Seems pretty solid. String is to hold the media in place a bit better.

Its funny, 2 posts before yours is someone asking if Mopar filters are made by Fram. The metal end-caps here tell me no.

Thanks for the info, hope this will be helpful to somebody.
55.gif
I'm wondering about the huge gap on the other side of the media though. Is this normal?
54.gif

Originally Posted By: TurboLuver
Looks like Purolator was the low bidder on this batch.

So is the string around the element only a Purolator thing? I take it the string is used to hold the element together while the seam is made?

Originally Posted By: TurboLuver
Purolator is the only filter I've seen with the string on it.

Aren't Motorcraft filters supplied by Purolator as well? If so, they have a silicone ADB valve, compared to the rubber one on Mopars. Wonder if Ford wants them that way, and pays for them as such.

I chopped one of these open in the mid 90's, and it looked exactly the same then. Every 5281090 Chrysler filter I have ever seen was a Purolator.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I chopped one of these open in the mid 90's, and it looked exactly the same then. Every 5281090 Chrysler filter I have ever seen was a Purolator.

The MO-90 is now made by Champion.

If the guy who dissected the filter had taken a pic of the base plate, you would see the AA stamped in it, which is a Champion code.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: G-MAN
If the guy who dissected the filter had taken a pic of the base plate, you would see the AA stamped in it, which is a Champion code.

Just checked the base plate...nothing seems to be stamped?
54.gif

Also, aren't ACDelco filters made by Champion?

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
Originally Posted By: G-MAN

Just checked the base plate...nothing seems to be stamped?
54.gif

Also, aren't ACDelco filters made by Champion?

If it doesn't have AA stamped into the metal of the base plate somewhere, it may be a Purolator. I suppose it's possible Chrysler sources its filters from more than one company. The one I put on my Chrysler was made by Champion.

Delphi and Champion used to make AC filters. I think Champion may be making all of them now.

I just got back from Wal-Mart. While I was there I remembered this thread and went over to the oil aisle and looked at the Mopar filters. They had about a dozen on the shelf and I opened every box and looked at the filters. They were all made by Purolator. So, either Chrysler has dumped Champion or they use both Purolator and Champion because the Mopar filter I got from Wal-Mart last fall was a Champion. (My Chrysler is due for an oil change, so I picked one up.)

Also, I noticed the Warren Super Tech is being squeezed out by the Super Tech in XOM bottles, so it looks like Wal-Mart may be switching oil suppliers in my area.
smirk2.gif

I don't believe that Champion uses a metal clamp for the seam. That and the string are typically Purolator deals.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
I don't believe that Champion uses a metal clamp for the seam. That and the string are typically Purolator deals.

WTH is that string all about? It must be used for some kind of manufacturing process, but what exactly?

It holds the media compressed in its proper circumference - AFAIK. I have to assume that Purolator uses a more automated process in the assembly ..or removes that part of the human process off the line. Champ uses a human to push the seams together "in process". That's why you may see uneven pleat distribution on some filters. I've got a Luberfiner DVD that shows the entire Champ filter process (pre-Ecore). I wish I had one for Purolator and Wix.

Retail box ACDelcos can come from Delphi, Champion or WIX.

Champion does make and often direct ships nearly all of the Delco oil/air filters packaged in non individually boxed "durapack" cases often ordered for use by dealer service depts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back