MOOG 512436 rear wheel bearing(s) for Forte

So it appears when I power washed the undercarriage recently, I'll let the car sit for a couple days after and then both rear wheel bearings started making noise when going straight down road but noise disappears around turns lol.

I also recently had the car a dealer for other misc repairs, but passed on the two new wheel bearings with backing plates @ $566 pre side because wheel bearings are not loose or anything, just making noise.

I have no traction control lights or ABS/Brake/stability control light, and the rear bearings are tight without play, but they "hum" when going straight down road.

Should I replace both of them with MOOG 512436 @ about $108 each..

The OEM bearings are about $184 each off Amazon, and hundreds of dollars each at dealer.

I can live with the hum. (The infinity speakers for the win here haha) and part of me wanted to just ride em out until I throw a ABS/TC light or something, then replace them..

BUT can they just fail completely without warning? Should I just replace them?

Thanks! 🙏

IMG_2288.jpeg
IMG_2287.jpeg

1669720276775.png

I would not delay the replacement. They are already making noise and their failure is just a matter of time.Winter is here and you don't want a breakdown in January. Moog is fine with about 4 others. They are likely all Chinese made anyway.. Unless they are rusted out, I don't know why backing plates are needed.

Oh boy. You keep tinkering with that poor car. But if the bearings are bad, you might as well replace the assembly. The MOOG ones should be as good as any other aftermarket ones.

Take a look at the brake backer plates before you start. If they are really rusted they will fall apart when you pull off the hubs so you may need new ones I'd also look for rotor rust like someone else mentioned as wiping out bearinings could happen from washing but not super likely and bearings could be fine Also search genuine Kia rear hub or similar on Ebay as there are a couple suppliers that that often sell oem for around 100 or less ea. Cns motors or shop Korea parts come to mind as pretty sure they sell discounted oem. Oem is likely iljen. Skf often reboxes them too

Take a look at the brake backer plates before you start. If they are really rusted they will fall apart when you pull off the hubs so you may need new ones I'd also look for rotor rust like someone else mentioned as wiping out bearinings could happen from washing but not super likely and bearings could be fine Also search genuine Kia rear hub or similar on Ebay as there are a couple suppliers that that often sell oem for around 100 or less ea. Cns motors or shop Korea parts come to mind as pretty sure they sell discounted oem. Oem is likely iljen. Skf often reboxes them too
They Arrived! and look and feel amazing LOL. :LOL: I'm definitely going to replace the black plates - they're about $84 apiece from OEM websites. There is no rust on the rotors. Calipers are sliding free, I put anti-seize on the hubs.
Looks like iljen made in Korea parts. (y)✅

IMG_2333.jpeg
IMG_2335.jpeg
IMG_2336.jpeg
IMG_2334.jpeg
IMG_2338.jpeg
IMG_2337.jpeg
IMG_2339.jpeg

They Arrived! and look and feel amazing LOL. :LOL: I'm definitely going to replace the black plates - they're about $84 apiece from OEM websites. There is no rust on the rotors. Calipers are sliding free, I put anti-seize on the hubs.
Looks like iljen made in Korea parts. (y)✅

View attachment 129986View attachment 129991View attachment 129990

awesome! I was worried you'd get some of the newer moog junk but nope! You got the good stuff, very cool! Love it how everytime you try to repair the Kia it turns out awesome! That is very very cool!
(y):D

Figured it was time to tackle this... This am the noise was different and it got me concerned, and happy I did as the right side had a good amount of play.

Results are fantastic & not a single hint of a noise and everything is tight now.

But it took a honest 7 hours total to remove the bearings :LOL: both sides were rust welded into place.

IMG_2512.jpeg

Figured it was time to tackle this... This am the noise was different and it got me concerned, and happy I did as the right side had a good amount of play.

Results are fantastic & not a single hint of a noise and everything is tight now.

But it took a honest 7 hours total to remove the bearings :LOL: both sides were rust welded into place.

View attachment 136216
Nice work!

well.. does look you got all the life out of them, that they had! Wow.. but glad to hear the new ones are awesome! I forgot.. how many miles were on these? I assume they're originals..

Back