MONSTUH Bluegill Caught In Louisiana

Nice and fun to catch. Back when I was young and could handle the cold I did a lot of ice fishing. Just south of Valentine NE there are a few ponds that have nice bluegill, we wouldn't keep anything under a pound and quite a few 1 1/2 pounders.

The state record here in NE is at Grove lake, about 45 miles from me, 2 lbs, 13 oz

I've seen some in Minnesota near that big. I think the pike eat the small ones.

blue gill.jpg

That thing is huge but we call them Bream in these parts! ;)
We have bream and bluegill in GA. What we call bream are usually "redbreast"... we also think of most bluegill as bream, but not all bream as bluegill. 😐

I've come close to some that big.

Great eating fish....

Crappie are great too... Amazingly good as Bluegill.

Here in Va a state citation bluegill is over 1 pound. Crappie are over 2 pounds. Largemouth Bass weight over 8 pounds or over 22 inches long.

I caught a citation length Largemouth Bass in Harrison Lake in Charles City county. On 9/11/01... On my birthday and of course 9/11. Very strange day... Went from high level of good feeling to extremely low by the time we got back to my dad's house.

I hooked a darn nice 5-6 pound bass last year in Diascund Creek near me and fought the fish perfectly. Had no net... And broke the darn line trying to lift that fish 3 feet from the water up over the bulk head. I would have put that fish back as Bass are not good eating over 4 pounds. In my opinion.

Back