Monitor shows (disks 100%)" Win 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently I have noticed that a cpu/disc/ram monitor that I have installed months ago, is now showing Disks 100%, whenever I start computer.It does take quite a bit longer to open a browser. It does go to desktop. if I go to Task Manager,it doesn't show anything except if I have a window open. i have also went to Msconfig and turned off as much as possible under startup. what else can I check? Win 7

If by "Disks 100%" you mean that your hard drive is full, then this has nothing to do with the startup processes you turned off in msconfig. You need to delete some stuff from your hard drive.

Click the "Computer" icon. What does it say about the capacity of your hard drive(s)?

Its states 66gb free of 148. After about 10 minutes, it drops down to 10% or even to Zero, then it starts to work great again.

He means active disk usage is 100%. It's loading programs and stuff.

First, open the start menu and search for and run "disk cleanup" and check every box to clean up some junk.

Then, open "programs and features" from the control panel, and remove any programs you're not using. Try to be as aggressive as you can here. Even if you think you might use a program some day down the road, go ahead and remove it to free up some of the space. More used space = more time to start the same programs that would take a few seconds on a nearly empty disk.

Another thing you can do is either run the built in defragment program, or I recommend iobit Smart Defrag, which has options to prioritize files so the most used files are on the edge of the disk where the surface speed is faster, so files can be accessed a bit quicker. Do not do this if you have a solid state drive. iobit and I think windows (maybe) will warn you not to do it if it's an SSD

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
How is the CPU usage? You may have malware or some other virus causing the system strain.

With 148GB I'd imagine it's just an old slow drive and computer, more likely than malware I'd figure.

How is the CPU usage? You may have malware or some other virus causing the system strain.
CPU is always very low, around 20% more or less.

Originally Posted By: horse123

With 148GB I'd imagine it's just an old slow drive and computer, more likely than malware I'd figure.
HDD,mobo are only about 3 years old.

I think it's fixed now. I looked into Avast! and Malwarebytes settings and MB has a startup check setting. I turned that off and it seems to be alright now. Thanks to all for the suggestions!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back