Modern leather care....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: silversport

I think that's what Fast Eddie was getting at...using leather cleaner or preservative on vinyl will be messy...using those same cleaners and preservatives on leather from cheap to nice will net you better results...

Bill

I always keep is simple, non-coated leather which is found in very few vehicles...most luxury, using products like leatherique which is designed for this type of leather works awesome but is a time consuming process. Coated leather use a product designed for this, aka leather masters or such. Lexol or any of these conditioners on coated leather is a waste of time and "can" do more damage than good from my personal experience. To each is own and I've seen people use baby oil, WD-40 and Vaseline on leather before, owning a detail shop you see it all.

I agree FastEddie...I like Zaino but I also understand the leather on both my cars are a painted top coat instead of the nicer semi-aniline leather I had on a Mercedes...I see, like you have noted that many upper end vehicles offer this aniline or semi aniline leather that has more open pores and are dyed rather than painted...

Bill

I learned this lesson the hard way: Didn't realize the "leather" in my V70 was vinyl-coated. I'd been using Lexol for years to protect it. Despite this however, the drivers seat began to badly crack. The passenger seat looked relatively new, so I pulled both seats and swapped the bottom seat covers. Began using Vinylx, Meguires marine vinyl protectant, etc. However, with my butt now in the seat, and the cover getting daily use, it soon looked as bad as the other. The drvr. seatback looks HORRIBLE as well.

Conclusion: Volvo used really cheap leather in my series. My backseats look brand new because they're so rarely used, but the leather there is original and now 17 yrs. old.

I went to a little auto upholstery shop and they recovered the front arm rest in a high-quality vinyl. I intend to have the front seat redone, when I can find the time.....

I can assure you Lexol does not damage any modern, coated leather. I've been using it for decades and all my leather looks new or close to it. This is a 5 year old Honda Accord that gets Lexol every 8 weeks and it is as nice as the day I bought it new.
Also a 13 year old Volvo seat.

I'm partial to Leather Master Soft Cleaner and Protection Cream. This is my wife's 2004 X3 2.5i which has 184,000 miles on it:
X3%20Int_zpsvqcztyyr.jpg

I was thinking about this yesterday and was wondering if Mothers VLR would be ok for the perforated leather in my Elantra?
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back