Mobil's response to general competitor brands...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess one of the reasons I've always been a Mobil 1 user is partly because of their integrity over the course of 40 years of making synthetics.

On Mobil's website, their FAQ is very comprehensive.

There is no doubt in my mind that other oils are as good and in some instances better. The quality gap has closed now that synthetics are in higher demand, with Mobil 1 still being a top tier oil.

I think Mobil's approach and quality though is still tops. Here are some responses to competitor claims.

Quote:
Mobil 1 vs Royal Purple

Quote:Let's put it this way:

Mobil 1 is the World's Leading Synthetic Motor Oil Brand
Mobil 1 technology has been selected as original equipment by leading car builders such as those who manufacture the Chevrolet Corvette, Mercedes AMG, and Porsche.
Mobil has the following approvals for Mobil 1 5W-30, to use just one viscosity grade example:
API SN, SM, SL, ILSAC GF-5, ACEA A1/B1, A5/B5
GM 6094M, Ford WSS-M2C929-A, Chrysler MS-6395,GM 4718M
Honda HTO-06 (only motor oil to meet these stringent conditions)
More than half of all NASCAR teams use Mobil 1 in their cars
Mobil 1 is available in the US market at retail stores, lube oil centers, car dealers, etc, and
Mobil 1 technology is proven worldwide, in the lab and on the road.
We are not aware of similar qualifications for Royal Purple motor oils.

Base oils:

Quote:Answer:

We use many types of high performance synthetic fluid including esters and polyalphaolefins (PAO’s) in our fully synthetic Mobil 1 products. Each type of synthetic fluid plays a different role, so we use these different fluids to produce the best overall performance. Our success over the last 30 years speaks for itself and the fact that over 50% of NASCAR teams use our products says a lot about their performance on the track and on the road.

4-ball wear Test:

The 4-ball wear test is a test designed to evaluate the performance of a gear oil. The 4-ball wear test is not included as a part of any industry-wide recognized engine oil specifications (e.g. ILSAC GF-5, API SN, or ACEA specifications). ExxonMobil does not regard this test as a useful indicator of engine oil performance.

On adding additives:

Mobil 1 fully synthetic motor oil exceeds the industry’s toughest standards and outperforms all conventional oils. We do not recommend adding engine oil additives to any lubricant. The additives in an oil are carefully balanced and the addition of other additives can de-stabilize the oil and cause additives to drop–out of solution. Adding ANY additive to a conventional oil will not produce an oil with the kind of protection that Mobil 1 provides . Go with the Mobil 1!

Amsoil:

We certainly can’t speak for AMSOIL. But you can see the kind of testing we put our oil through by looking at the Las Vegas field testing we completed with Mobil 1™ motor oils in Las Vegas taxis. In addition, Mobil 1 synthetic oil is chosen by more car manufacturers as factory fill in their vehicles than any other motor oil. We also are approved against the latest industry standards and appear on the OEM approval lists of all the major manufacturers. Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil is all about protection and helping to extend the life of your vehicle.

Time released additives:

Yes, almost all engine oils contain additives that could be described as time-release. This is clever advertising that highlights one of the properties that common antiwear additives exhibit. The antiwear additive ZDDP (Zinc DialkylDithioPhosphate) activates as it decomposes at hot metal surfaces and forms a glass-like protective layer on the metallic surface. There are also other additives such as viscosity modifiers which change their physical structure under certain condition in the engine and then go back to an earlier structure when the stress is removed from the molecule. There are also cleaning agents which can be released over time. And yes, Mobil 1 has all these “time released” additives as part of its additive package.

On sldudge and why the Chrysler 2.7 was chose in the Vegas test (Same engine Amsoil went with)

The best evidence for him is your own experience and it sounds like you have had outstanding performance from Mobil 1™. So you might want to show him all the OEMs (original equipment manufacturers) that consider Mobil 1 best for their cars and then explain to him that more than 50 percent of all NASCAR teams also use Mobil 1 for their vehicles. Lastly, suggest he watch the Las Vegas field test where we actually tested Mobil 1 in Chryslers with the 2.7 L engine.

And now back to regular programming...
whistle.gif

That's an outdated statement and info as there are many oils with the HTO06 certification now days.

As usual, let the specifications and approvals speak for themselves.

Of course, there may be others who can also achieve the same standards and approvals today, but being first in the industry to achieve those standards demonstrates ExxonMobil's approach to being the leader in lubricant technology. The others are simply followers, not leaders.

I like M1 alot and started using it when it first came out. but I do take issue with the "integrity" comment; as I recall when all M1 oils were "EP" and were spec'd for 15k miles. then Mobil suddenly (and silently) changed their base stocks and formulations and suddently had "EP" and non-"EP" oils. the problem is, if you weren't paying attention, you might have been running non-EP M1 for 15k miles.

My wife is tough on cars, and I ran M1 for years in it, and besides the fact I feel it burns off a bit easier, it's a good oil.

But since I've switched to sopus products (PP, QSUD), the car has had no issues at all...even with the burn off.

Stuff better than M1? no. Up to par with them? You bet....

Nothing to see here. M1 is usually the 1st to jump on the manufacturer spec "certification" bandwagon and use that as their number one marketing tool. They offer a really good oil at a great price.

Originally Posted By: ECUpirate
Nothing to see here. M1 is usually the 1st to jump on the manufacturer spec "certification" bandwagon and use that as their number one marketing tool. They offer a really good oil at a great price.

It may be a "bandwagon," but it takes serious $$ for the research and development for a lubricant to meet many emerging oil performance standards. This shows commitment on the oil blender's part, to be an industry leader in being first to market a product for new vehicles. This is something that they should be commended on.

One thing that intrigues me is the lack of the Chrysler spec on the M1. I know, we've all heard the response about how long it takes and so forth. Well, plenty of other companies (even Petro-Canada) have the specification. And it's not like M1 lacks certifications. Are they that sore at Chrysler?
wink.gif

I'd use M1 over Royal Purple as well if they were buying exclusive rights.

OEMs are not necessarily using M1 as their first fill because of the quality, but because of the contract M1 pays manufacturers for that privilege.

I knew I'd take a bit of beating for posting this. I wasn't posting it to put down other brands. I posted it because these questions often come up and it's also good to know Mobil has a good FAQ section.

Originally Posted By: Hyde244

OEMs are not necessarily using M1 as their first fill because of the quality, but because of the contract M1 pays manufacturers for that privilege.

THIS!

Originally Posted By: Swarmlord
Originally Posted By: Hyde244

THIS!

You seem to forget that XM is involved with R&D with all the auto builders that use M1 as FF. As the case with Corvette and Porsche, and others, many years of research between XM and the engine designers go into producing oils that meet the spec's the builders require. This is just one reason M1 leads the world in synthetic fluids.

What oil do more Dakar rally teams run the most?

What other oil blenders "include esters and polyalphaolefins (PAO’s)"?

What brand of oil is #1 worldwide?

"Mobil 1 fully synthetic motor oil exceeds the industry’s toughest standards and outperforms all conventional oils."
Does the Full Synthetic 5w30 meet ACEA A3/B4? 229.3? LL-01/03 or does it require purchasing an even more expensive, redundant grade positioned at actually "exceeding the industry's toughest standards".

What brand of oil is the #1 factory fill choice of automakers worldwide?

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
It's things like this that give a good company a bad name.

BIG TIME.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back