Mobil1 New Life 0W-40, 21,000 mi; 2009 Clio D4F784

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
That's a ton of wear metals and that filter looks like it's beyond worn out.

Got to look at the PPM per mile, because the mileage is so much longer than what folks normally run. They really aren't high, for the mileage. Only one that jumps out is copper IMHO, iron is fine.

OP: I'd change the filter every OCI, that kind of mileage on such a tiny filter, it was probably in bypass much of the time at this point.

Yeah the copper is what stands out to me. From studying uoa's here,anything nearing double digit always gets pointed out as concerning.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
That's a ton of wear metals and that filter looks like it's beyond worn out.

Got to look at the PPM per mile, because the mileage is so much longer than what folks normally run. They really aren't high, for the mileage. Only one that jumps out is copper IMHO, iron is fine.

OP: I'd change the filter every OCI, that kind of mileage on such a tiny filter, it was probably in bypass much of the time at this point.

Yeah the copper is what stands out to me. From studying uoa's here,anything nearing double digit always gets pointed out as concerning.

but we typically don't see runs this long either
wink.gif

I loved seeing all the cool little cars when I was there a couple months ago. The climate allows for vehicles to go on pretty much forever - something I'm very not used to here in Minnesota. I'm grateful we were able to get over there and I'm anxious to get back.

Even with these wear rates, the car will probably run for another decade at least. Maybe we could all compromise and run the oil 2 years? 73ppm Fe really isn't terrible considering the engine hours. The oil was dirty but held up.

Italians are not known to be good car owners!
Never buy used car from Italy!!! Every local Slovenian mechanic near Italian border would say the same story...

Ok, I think that filter looked decent before being cut, held its integrity and didn't collapse. I would be Interested In seeing it after just one long OCI. Blackstone seems to underestimate fuel in oil, so I would think you probably had a very heavy fuel load with those short trips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back