Mobil1 5W30, 3686miles, 2003 Nissan Sentra GXE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another Nissan Sentra with a coolant leak. WearCheck advises to find the source of the leak, looks like I'll be visiting the dealer sometime soon after I receive the hard copy of the analysis to see if they're willing to do anything about it...

For what it's worth this was mostly short trip driving [between 5 and 10 miles] with 120 mile round-trips approximately once a month.

code:

Sample Date 3/25/2006

Analysis Date 3/28/2006

Lab WearCheck Canada

***Vehicle ID***

Make Nissan

Model Sentra GXE

Year 2003

Engine QG18DE 1.8L I4

Miles on Vehicle 29495

***Oil Identification***

Oil Brand Mobil

Oil Series Mobil 1

Oil SAE J300 5W30

API SX SL

Miles on Oil 3686

Months In Service 5.28

***Elements***

Antimony Sb NR

Cadmium Cd NR

Vanadium V 0.2

Aluminum Al 4.1

Chromium Cr 1.5

Iron Fe 10

Copper Cu 4.1

Lead Pb 0.8

Tin Sn 0.4

Molybdenum Mo 68

Nickel 0

Manganese Mn 19

Silver Ag 0.1

Titanium Ti 0.1

Potassium K 74

Boron B 125

Silicon Si 17

Sodium Na 60

Calcium Ca 2849

Magnesium Mg 32

Phosporus P 776

Zinc Zn 934

Barium Ba 0.1

***Viscosity***

cST @ 100 C 11.0

SUS @ 210 F NR

***Misc***

Flashpoint (F) NR

Fuel % NR

Antifreeze % NR

Water % 0.2

Insolubles % NR

Sulfur 69

Oxidation 76

Nitration 53

TBN NR

TAN 3.30

Ferrous Debris NR

Fuel Soot % NR

Glycol POSITIVE

ISO Code NR

Additives None

URL NR

Notes Lab recommends

Location Ottawa, ON, CAN

***Filters used***

Air Filter Nissan OEM

Oil Filter Nissan 15208-9E000

***Particle Count***

>2 micron NR

>5 micron NR

>10 micron NR

>15 micron NR

>25 micron NR

>50 micron NR

>100 micron NR

Yea, this engine is prone to head gasket leaks.
frown.gif

Sorry to hear about your coolant leak. I have the same car 03 gxe and that is why I do regular oil analysis to. Keep us informed what goes on at the dealer. Also if you’re not a member at the http://www.b15sentra.net/ is a great forum to get information on your car.

I have to think that all Nissans have this issue.
My Maxima did too - in fact, I think both of my Maximas did.

Love Nissans when they're new, but when they age, they're a PITA and expensive to maintain.

Scott

you should still be under the powertrain warranty 5yr/60k warranty. So it should be a free fix unless the dealer stonewalls you like they did me. I had to fight tooth and nail to get the Nissan dealer to fix the headgasket leak in my dad's sentra. Good luck
cheers.gif

jcrow,
I will be bringing the car to the dealer on Monday, 10 April, so that they can inspect/test it. I'll post the results/outcome when I receive the news.

Sounds like they didn’t give you much hassle. Did they perform any test? About how much coolant were you leaking and what type did you have in the car?

Al : Yes, the original Nissan Antifreeze was still in use; I was waiting for 48 months/96K km before changing it.

jcrow : The coolant level rarely went down; I added coolant maybe once or twice since Jan. 2003, I attributed it to just hot/cold fluid level changes
nono.gif
at the time of inspection. I've no idea what test they performed; the dealer did not give me any hassle at all.

quote:

Originally posted by craigq:
Al : Yes, the original Nissan Antifreeze was still in use;

Great to know. We have in the beginning of this section analysis for different coolants. It appears since you have just a bit more potassium than sodium they use pretty much the sams antifreeze that Subaru uses. Im fonna' make a statement in that thread. Thanks again. Glad it worked out for 'ya.
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back