Mobil1 5W-30, 4,160km (2585mi), 2007 Corvette LS2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Run some PUP oil and amsoil EAO filter, Royal Purple Filter or Fram ultra filter or WIX XP filter. Take another oil analysis. I bet you its [censored] oil filter is why you are seeing high insolubles.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

But in all seriousness,trying a different oil for an oci would be a cheap experiment.

Contrarily, doing that versus investigation and something completely fails, that "cheap experiment" just got REALLY expensive.

I guess I just can't imagine an uber high end car like this giving up the ghost at only 33k miles. That's practically brand new to me,unless it was pounded on and literally abused. If it runs fine with only that occasional ticking,I'd try a different oil/filter combo before I pay $$ to have it torn down.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

But in all seriousness,trying a different oil for an oci would be a cheap experiment.

Contrarily, doing that versus investigation and something completely fails, that "cheap experiment" just got REALLY expensive.

I guess I just can't imagine an uber high end car like this giving up the ghost at only 33k miles. That's practically brand new to me,unless it was pounded on and literally abused. If it runs fine with only that occasional ticking,I'd try a different oil/filter combo before I pay $$ to have it torn down.

IIRC, LS7's were having valve seat issues and failures when they were quite young and that was, for quite some time the epitome of the LSx engine family. Stuff happens. It could be and I hope it is something minor, but on the off chance that these readings are pointing to something going south my hopes are it gets identified and rectified before anything serious happens.

I am wondering if the previous owner or the dealer put some sort of additive in the crankcase to quiet things down until after the sale? The timeline is a bit fuzzy on when the OP changed the oil after the purchase.

Originally Posted By: Patman
I've always felt that these GM engines like an oil that is slightly thicker, something that has an HTHS of around 3.5 to 3.6. So you might want to give Mobil 1 0w40 or Castrol 0w40 a try.

Fortunately, there is now Mobil 1 ESP Formula 0w40 which is dexos2 and the new factory fill for Corvettes, Camaros, and Cadillac V cars. HTHSV is about 3.5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back