Mobil Super 5000 any good?

I was at North40 today and I saw they have Mobil Super 5000 in any weight for $14.97 for a 5 quart jug which is a steal. In comparison, the Harvest King brand was $22 for a 5 quart jug.

I was a bit surprised to see Mobil brand oil available for cheaper than the store's "generic" house brand so I was curious if this stuff was any good. If it sounds promising I'll go back later and pick up a couple jugs of it.

Used it quite a bit over the years.
Have 2 5qt jugs in my stash right now.
Good conventional oil if the price is right.

I believe it's syn blend and it's a decent price for that. Walmart sometimes has other brands syn blends for $14.

I wouldn't consider that a steal, just a reasonable normal price for a low-tier oil-- don't mistake low-tier for bad oil, there's nothing wrong with it.

Walmart has Chevron Supreme in various grades for $14.something shipped right to your door (assuming you spend > $35).

For a few bucks more you can get synthetic Havoline ProDS for $19 / 6 quarts. Or Havoline "conventional" 6qt sells for $16 and change. Phillips Shield semi-syn oil is available at a couple farm/fleet stores here for $2-2.50 per quart. These are all everyday prices, it's not uncommon for Walmart to shave a few bucks off them from time to time-- that's when it becomes a steal. They also sell Quaker State often at low prices, though I haven't found any great deals on it lately.

I don't consider Mobil Super 5000 to be any better than Harvest King oil, both are comparable in my view.

I was at Runnings in Putnam, CT yesterday. The same thing: HK jugs went from $13.99 to $18.99 overnight.

I think at this point, if it meets the spec, MS5K at $15 is a good deal. Don't forget that Chevron Supreme is still $14.44 a jug a Walmart and Havoline has the 6qt syn boxes for $19.97.

We have a member on here who ran Mobil Super for like 12-14k mile runs.

It did as well as Pennzoil Ultra... The original real Pennzoil Ultra.

This member did a lot of towing and high speed running too.

That was quite impressive to see.

I was at North40 today and I saw they have Mobil Super 5000 in any weight for $14.97 for a 5 quart jug which is a steal. In comparison, the Harvest King brand was $22 for a 5 quart jug.

I was a bit surprised to see Mobil brand oil available for cheaper than the store's "generic" house brand so I was curious if this stuff was any good. If it sounds promising I'll go back later and pick up a couple jugs of it.
I haven’t used Mobil 5000 since 2008-09 era but always had good results. I haven’t seen it on the shelves for sometime but if you have the opportunity to buy Mobil 5000 go for it.

just don't confuse Mobil Super Full Synthetic with Mobil Super 5000 (synthetic blend)...according to Mobil's own website, they recommend the oil is good for 5000 miles between OCIs...use it as you will...

when I look on Mobil's website, despite seeing the Mobil Super 5000 shown, I don't see them showing it available...Only Mobil Super and Mobil Super full synthetic as well as the high mileage varieties for purchase in NA

perhaps you see it on sale because Mobil discontinued it?...Mobil's website has been a bit wonky for me lately...good luck with your choice...

Bill

Back