Mobil Clean 5000 or Exxon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exxon is actually more expensive at Advance Auto than Mobil Clean 5000, both being 5W30 dino. Any idea why since I thought a Mobil brand would be better than Exxon?

Per their website, the Mobil 5000 does have x%, IIRC around 15, more detergent than their bulk which I assume is the same as superflo.

The reason it costs more is likely due to the fact it sells in a much lower volume, and there probably isn't a walmart selling Exxon oil a few miles away.

Take a look at my post that is at the bottom:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1530927&fpart=1

According to the MSDS', I like Superflo's specs better than M5k's. Check out the flash and pour points. Superflo's 40C cSt is a little higher than M5k, and Superflo's CCS cp @-30C [product data sheet] is a little better than PYB.

I am starting to question the value of too much detergents in PCMO- is it detracting from other lubricating characteristics in pusuit of a squeeky clean engine?

Last edited:
I'm not going to comment on the quality of an oil from the info on a MSDS. Agreed it is a bit thicker, if you're into that.

As for the cleaning versus lubrication... that would be an interesting discussion. Probably depends on what engine you have. Most Honda/Toyotas can be run into the ground on most any oil, their (at least Toyota's) achilles heel is certainly sludge or deposits starving the valve guides of oil and causing consumption issues. So at least on the Toy I'd place cleanliness over lubrication. Then I have a motorcycle/lawnmower/whatever where the engine will wear out long before any deposits really have time to form and it would be the other way around.

So you are saying that the basic levels of detergents in motor oil that are required by the GF-4 and SM standards are not enough to keep a present day engine clean when a consumer follows their car manufacturer's OCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back