Mobil 5w30 esp used by accident

Status
Not open for further replies.
Car is a 1998 Mercedes C230 with the m111 engine

So I went to the garage today to get oil changed. anyways asked for 0w40 as recommended, they didn't have to asked for 5w40 mobil 1, they said they had it and put it in. Anyways when I got home checked my bill, said they put Mobil 1 5w30 ESP, which is mercedes recommended but for 229.51 (diesels) , would I be fine to run this 5-6k then change or should I ask them to change it out to 0w40 since they screwed up in the first place... Did some research before, and the esp oil is more advanced , but because of the ethanol and higher sulfur content in Canada and USA, it deteriorates more than in Europe where they don't use ethanol and they have lower sulfur. And I guess if I keep it should I just use Shell v power (no ethanol in Can.) still had higher sulfur content though. Apparently though the sulfur amount in Canada in gas is less than in USA... might make this oil right to use...? Heard sulfur levels are lower than 50ppm in canada and then we have no ethanol gas with Shell V Power

For an out of warranty 1998, I wouldn't worry terribly much. It might be advisable to go for a shorter OCI. On the other hand, the garage screwed up, and they should correct their mistake. If it were you who put it in or requested it by accident, I wouldn't worry much.

Originally Posted By: Garak
For an out of warranty 1998, I wouldn't worry terribly much. It might be advisable to go for a shorter OCI. On the other hand, the garage screwed up, and they should correct their mistake. If it were you who put it in or requested it by accident, I wouldn't worry much.

Yea I had asked for 0w40 and they didnt have that so said 5w40 and then they put in this... Do you think I should run only Shell with no ethanol for up to 10K km, or would it be ok to put up to e10 if i do maybe 6K..? I also see your running ESP but the Delvac one... Why, and would that be much different from the 5w30 esp, and are they considered better quality then the normal mobil 1 0w40

I'd have them change it to the oil you requested. If you go back it wouldn't shock me if they told you they put the 5W40 in, and wrote 5W30 ESP on the bill by mistake in hopes to avoid having to change it.

mattcgy - You explained the situation and the reasons for your concerns perfectly. You have all the facts correct.

It probably is no problem for a shortish oil change interval. it's actually a very good oil in the correct application. As you suggest, it's additive levels are lower, so the oil cannot combat acids as long.

It's one of those tough things. The shop probably wasn't trying to be bad, they probably figure it doesn't matter. I don't know what I would do in your situation. Please note, when you asked for the 5w-40, it's almost impossible to get the 5w-40 product that is not ESP, mainly dealers only have that product (at least in USA). Off the shelf products in US that are 5w-40 Mobil 1 are an ESP product.

Of course, if they work on many Mercedes, they should carry Mobil 1 0w-40 (or another 229.5 oil).

Probably, since I do oil changes, I would run a short interval, and change it again myself.

Last edited:
Germany has E10 as a slightly less expensive option now yet no change in the manufacturers oil spec.
Viscosity is not that far apart HTHS 3.56 for the ESP and 3.8 for the 0w40 IIRC. 5-6K should not be a problem with this oil and 50 ppm sulfur especially in Canada with the colder winter temps IMO.
I would leave it alone.

49.gif

ESP is fine for your engine.
It's just a little light on metallic adds and doesn't have great starting TBN or TBN retention.
I'd leave it alone and run it out to 6K.
It should be fine for that interval.
If you'd change your own oil, you'd avoid this sort of mistake or misunderstanding.
I don't think that E10 fuel is going to be any problem.
The sulfur content allowed in pump gasoline is the only issue, relative to diesel, since this oil is really intended for diesels running ULSD fuel.

I dont see why your worried personaly,
Its high quality oil , if it bothers you drain it at 2-3k...

Unless your engine isnt running optimally, who cares?

Last edited:
Yeah I normally change my oil but its -20C and i dont have a place to do it in the winter... Really appreciate all your help, gonna try to get them to change it out but if not ill run it 5-6k (miles?) then probably get it tested.

Motor Honey? STP? wouldn't that thicken it up? It's pretty cold around here this time of year so I don't think I would worry about it until summer.

I think you got the right stuff but they keyed it in the computer wrong.

But this is a good test of what sort of garage they run. Leave your oil filler slightly unscrewed/cocked so you can tell if it's been opened and properly torqued.

They might not change it if they're sure they put the right stuff in, or they might change it to make you happy. But if you go back you'll have another data point.

Originally Posted By: mattcgy
Yea I had asked for 0w40 and they didnt have that so said 5w40 and then they put in this... Do you think I should run only Shell with no ethanol for up to 10K km, or would it be ok to put up to e10 if i do maybe 6K..? I also see your running ESP but the Delvac one... Why, and would that be much different from the 5w30 esp, and are they considered better quality then the normal mobil 1 0w40

I'm thinking your shop is a little confused about the Mobil lineup. The only 5w-40 Mobil products available in Canada are the Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 (that you noticed I'm running) and the and the Mobil 1 Formula M 5w-40 and the Mobil 1 ESP 5w-40. And the last one only comes in a 208 L drum. I'm looking at an Imperial Oil sell sheet right now.

If I had your car, I'd be running premium only anyhow, and the Shell is a fine choice. There may be other pure gas premiums in your jurisdiction, but I'm not positive off the top of my head. Esso and Petro-Canada and Co-op are pure gas in this province, to the best of my knowledge.

I'm running Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 thanks to having some in stock, not to mention an incredible price. My car is out of warranty and all it called for was SM/GF-4 or better, so it's nothing exotic or hard to meet in the first place.

The ESP naming in the Delvac 1 lineup is not quite the same as the ESP naming in the Mobil 1 lineup. Mine would be mid-SAPS by ACEA categories, but has a starting TBN of 10 or greater. Something like Delvac 1 ESP 0w-40 has a lower starting TBN, despite the very similar name. Then, the M1 stuff is different altogether.

As for "better" than M1 0w-40, I would think that M1 0w-40 would be a fine fit for your car. The Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 would likely cause no issues, either, if it were accidentally in your sump.

I'd just run what you have for a shorter OCI, 10000 km should be attainable, and then switch back to M1 0w-40. If we're lucky, a certain regular poster here with much, much more knowledge than I possess will chime in and advise us if Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 is a suitable long term lubricant for your engine, should you want something cheaper down the road. It's about half the price of M1 0w-40. Alternatively, go to Imperial Oil to buy your M1 0w-40. It'll be cheaper than Walmart, Canadian Tire, or Partsource, even when those are on sale.

Originally Posted By: mattcgy
Yeah I normally change my oil but its -20C and i dont have a place to do it in the winter... Really appreciate all your help, gonna try to get them to change it out but if not ill run it 5-6k (miles?) then probably get it tested.

That's a good plan too.

the 5w40 TDT is available widely.

Originally Posted By: Ayrton
mattcgy - You explained the situation and the reasons for your concerns perfectly. You have all the facts correct.

It probably is no problem for a shortish oil change interval. it's actually a very good oil in the correct application. As you suggest, it's additive levels are lower, so the oil cannot combat acids as long.

It's one of those tough things. The shop probably wasn't trying to be bad, they probably figure it doesn't matter. I don't know what I would do in your situation. Please note, when you asked for the 5w-40, it's almost impossible to get the 5w-40 product that is not ESP, mainly dealers only have that product (at least in USA). Off the shelf products in US that are 5w-40 Mobil 1 are an ESP product.

Of course, if they work on many Mercedes, they should carry Mobil 1 0w-40 (or another 229.5 oil).

Probably, since I do oil changes, I would run a short interval, and change it again myself.

Call the dealer and tell them about the mistake - getting them to agree to put the correct 40-weight oil in with a free oil change. Then take your time in returning (in 4 - 6 weeks) when winter is over and a thicker oil is used to make things right.

Worse case scenario is you use the 5W-30 ESP until the weather warms up and then use a 10% thicker 40-weight oil for peace of mind.

The US Mobil 1 site recommends 0w40, which has the 229.5 approval.

I don't know which 5w40 you were expecting, but in the US, the 5w40 doesn't have 229.5 approval, and it doesn't look too different to the 5w30 they put in.

I think you don't really have a reason to go back to the shop since you specified an alternative to the 0w40, said alternative is not 229.5. It's not clear to me that you received anything different in performance to what you asked.

If they had agreed to put in 0w40 and not done so, then you could go back.

My advice would be to buy a Mityvac and change the oil to a 229.5 oil. Keep the used oil for top offs.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Viscosity is not that far apart HTHS 3.56 for the ESP and 3.8 for the 0w40 IIRC.

End thread, you'll be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back