Mobil 1 vs. Mobil 1 for Trucks & SUV's

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the difference between standard Mobil 1 and the Mobil 1 for SUV's and Trucks?
I understand that the additives are probably different, but they are both 5w-30. The SUV/Truck one says it is for extreme service though.

So I am thinking that since I do 10K OCI that it would be considered extreme service and that I should use the SUV oil...even though it will be going in a 4 cylinder passenger vehicle.

Any thoughts on this?

The only difference that I can see from the data sheets is that the SUV & Truck version has a lower [colder] pour point. Otherwise all of the other specs are the same.
21.gif

From what I've seen of other brand's SUV versions, they typically have thicker cSt values along with higher [warmer] pour points than the non-SUV/4x4 version.

I spoke to M1 tech line about the difference between M1 5W-30 and M1 5W-30 TSUV. They said it was the same base oil but that the TSUV had "more" moly, "more" boron, and "somewhat more" antioxidant. The 40C, 100C, and HTHS are identical. A semi relative uses 1 quart of M1 15W-50, 1 quart of M1 10W-40 HM, and 3 quarts of M1 5W-30 TSUV in his pickup truck that tows a boat and a camper.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
I love it when people mix motor oil cocktails!!

I always have it in the back of my mind that if "I" do something like that, some chemist somewhere is going to look at my engine and say something like, "Wow, who would have thought that could have ceated a new type of epoxy."
shocked2.gif

If you go to the VOA section, and search, there is a side by side comparison of Mobil 1 5W-30, 5W-30 TSUV, and 5W-30 EP. You will see that the TSUV has a little more moly and boron than the regular 5W-30, but the EP has more than the TSUV. According to Mobil 1, the TSUV has more antioxidants than either or the other two to help handle the higher heat of working engines.

I was at Walmart today and decided to take a look at their stock of M1 TSUV...there was none.
54.gif
Looks like I'm going to have to hunt it down.

I've been using this for several years now...so far so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back