Mobil 1 Syn ATF + Mazda MV = Smell in car-HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use to use nothing but M1 ATF in Moms truck but last time I used Maxlife due to low funds! I had to top off with a quart of Valvoline plain jane blue bottle Dex III. This is on top of any OEM fluid that is in it. Never had any strange smells. I always measure what comes out and I only put in what comes out. Since I use 1 gallon milk jugs to put waste oil in and used 4-5 quart oil jugs it is not hard for me to measure what I took out. I never go by the book I always go by what I get out when it comes to automatics. This assumes you do not let the thing get low on fluid of course!

Originally Posted By: TNM6i
Originally Posted By: tig1
You are over filled mate. Didn't you see my post early in your thread? Since I drained down my fluid no odor.

I thought it was overfilled, too, but the tech at Aamco checked the level and said it was right where it should be after a 20-minute road test.

I'm gonna drain all I can out and replace it with a single formula over the course of a couple drain/refill sessions, probably with either Mobil 1 or Mazda's MV. I'm pretty well convinced that the mixture of the three fluids is causing the weird smell.

Why not just have it flushed with a machine? Replace it ALL at the same time.

Originally Posted By: AdRock

Why not just have it flushed with a machine? Replace it ALL at the same time.

I just haven't found a shop that I trust near me to do this. I've heard stories about the machines not being cleaned and causing contamination or some dufus underpaid tech not paying attention and breaking fittings and causing other damage.Plus, I can't convince myself that they get the fact that Mazda MV does not equal Mercon-V. Aamco doesn't use a machine and neither do any of the local Mazda dealers. I may call a few Ford dealers tomorrow to see what they say. I know Ford and Mazda share specs and both use MV fluid.

Well, I'm taking it to a local Ford dealer on saturday for a flush. I'll be providing the fluid and just paying labor. They tried to sell me on their "additive" which I was told was similar to Lubegard. I've heard good things about Lubegard, but don't think their "sauce" is worth $20-$25. Now to decide whether to go with Mazda MV or Mobil 1 for the refill. I hope this takes care of the odor issue. Getting really tired of this.

Just installed the new formula M1 ATF in my uncles '05 Mustang.
(It's a 5 speed, and calls for ATF) Anyway, upon opening the first bottle, I noticed the awful smell. It stinks just like Mercon V does. At least the Mobil brand of it. I don't remember what the Motorcraft brand smelled like when I used it in my van.

Trans flush performed today. All seems well with shifting and I didn't notice the smell. Maybe just a little fluid on the undercarriage where they didn't clean it off, but nothing major (I hope). They did make a mistake, though. They put in the BG additive when I told the service writer on the phone that I wasn't interested. I didn't think to remind him when dropping the car off. Hope this is OK with Mobil 1. At least he didn't charge me for it :D

The drive home was about 20 minutes. So when I pulled into the driveway, which is about as level a spot as I can find, the level was only about1/2 - 3/4 of the way to the full mark. I'm not touching it this time. I can't seem to the get the fluid level right, or check it when it's at the optimum temperature. I'll check it again in a few days. I guess they could have under-filled it a bit, but I left them 12 quarts of fluid (trans capacity = 8.5) and got none back afterward. If a 15-20 minute drive at 70MPH isn't enough to get the trans to proper fluid checking temperature, I don't know what is.

Flushing a machine is basicly for a few select people. 1)Those that did not buy a Toyota and so do not have a drain plug on their trans.2)Those that have neglected their changes and need to flush it out. 3)Those that are lazy.4)Those that do not have the confidence or skill to do it themselves.5)Those that are physicaly handicaped and do not have anyone to help them.6)Those with more money then brains!LOL Just joking onthat last one!!!!

Toyota's have a drain plug and I follow the manual which in my Moms truck calls for ATF changes every 15K miles. Since I almost always use synthetic the oil that is still in the trans is still in great shape hence no need to flush! I never let a fluid get that bad. Even ont he wifes Buick I never let any trans go more then 50K before it gets a filter and fluid change.

Originally Posted By: JohnBrowning
Flushing a machine is basicly for a few select people. 1)Those that did not buy a Toyota and so do not have a drain plug on their trans.2)Those that have neglected their changes and need to flush it out. 3)Those that are lazy.4)Those that do not have the confidence or skill to do it themselves.5)Those that are physicaly handicaped and do not have anyone to help them.6)Those with more money then brains!LOL Just joking onthat last one!!!!

7) Those who had factory fluid with two refills, each with a altered formula of the same Mobil 1 fluid that made a nasty smell when all mixed together. Flushing all the mixed out and replenishing with fluid from a single batch/manufacturer This was the case for me if you've read the previous posts in this thread.

I've done nothing but drain and refills ever since the car was new. I just got caught in the middle of Mobil 1 changing their friction modifiers and ended up with two different versions of their multi-vehicle ATF + Mazda's MV factory fill. Hopefully this is the end of the fluid smell in the car. I still noticed it a bit today, but when I was changing the oil, I noticed some spillage on the crossmember and a little near the dipstick. Hope that takes care of it.

OK. This is getting strange. I am still smelling fluid, but now it smells more like straight Mobil 1. I checked the level after getting the car back and it was almost on the full mark. I didn't add any additional fluid. I think I may have a leak somewhere. If the fluid is low after a weeks worth of driving, then I may have a major problem! I'm not convinced the flush solved anything at all. It's just as bad as before, just the smell is different. I don't think the fluid smell in the car would be this strong unless ATF was finding its way to the outside of the trans. I'll be crawling under the car this weekend to do a thorough inspection. This sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back