Mobil 1 SN - TBN & Extended Drains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any other thoughts on this? I tend to trust XOM's expertise so I have always listened to what they say being they spend more on R&D than all the others combined. But that doesn't mean they are necessarily right about this.

I wish I could get to the bottom of it because I'm going to be converting my mom's CRV over to 1/year oil changes and plan on going with Mobil 1 EP 5w20.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Quote:
Finally, in our experience in severe-service Las Vegas field testing, Mobil 1 engine oil TBN levels typically do not drop below 2 for vehicles with 15,000 mile oil drain intervals. Furthermore, it is our experience that those oils tend not to drop any lower when we continue to 20,000 mile oil drains.

Nothing in the Mobil 1 Las Vegas test is "severe".

Then why did they not run out to 20k OCIs?

Why don't they recommend 20k OCIs and warranty that? (if Las Vegas is so severe and the normal owner is not?)

Marketing is so great....
20.gif

Similar thought here, not that I'm saying M1 is not a good product, I think they are.
Back to marketing, i remember a while ago there's a video showing the M1 oil in taxi cab (vegas?) vs conventional doing at least 10K, after 100K on the engine, they took the engine apart and "visually" inspect both engines side by side, one comment regarding M1 is they say after 100K the original machine mark (observation that support their claim.

Originally Posted By: buster
Any other thoughts on this? I tend to trust XOM's expertise so I have always listened to what they say being they spend more on R&D than all the others combined. But that doesn't mean they are necessarily right about this.

I wish I could get to the bottom of it because I'm going to be converting my mom's CRV over to 1/year oil changes and plan on going with Mobil 1 EP 5w20.

You could do UOAs at the half-year and 1 year and see compare "wear rates". If it spikes during the second half of the year for any wear metal it may be due to low TBN and/or high TAN. Difference in ambient temps from different times of the year may skew the results with cold weather being harder on the oil. Also monitor engine cleanliness visually. How many miles does she drive per year? What are her typical trip lengths? Is it the 4-cylinder CRV?

Hi JAG. Not a bad idea. I should have ordered a Fumoto drain valve for her car. I'm about to put one on the Mazda and my brother's RAV 4.

It is the 4 cylinder and her driving is EXTREMELY short trip. She may drive 1-2 miles to the train station each day. With that said, I may do 2 changes per year just because of the severity of the OCI.

With those short trips I agree that changing it twice a year is better than once a year. A lot of water is going to build up in the engine and as odd as it sounds, water is one of motor oil's worst enemies. Steel and iron corrosion is obviously accelerated by it too.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Quote:
Finally, in our experience in severe-service Las Vegas field testing, Mobil 1 engine oil TBN levels typically do not drop below 2 for vehicles with 15,000 mile oil drain intervals. Furthermore, it is our experience that those oils tend not to drop any lower when we continue to 20,000 mile oil drains.

Nothing in the Mobil 1 Las Vegas test is "severe".

Then why did they not run out to 20k OCIs?

Why don't they recommend 20k OCIs and warranty that? (if Las Vegas is so severe and the normal owner is not?)

Marketing is so great....
20.gif

I gotta agree a bit here. While I've personally abused the all heck of the M1 and it took it well, 20k is a bit much...

Originally Posted By: JAG
With those short trips I agree that changing it twice a year is better than once a year. A lot of water is going to build up in the engine and as odd as it sounds, water is one of motor oil's worst enemies. Steel and iron corrosion is obviously accelerated by it too.

Yes, with those trips I'd change the oil by 6 months max. Perhaps sooner if UOAs trend in the wrong direction at all, more so in the winter.

Mobil 1 EP is one of the best oils you can get. Look at the Amsoil tests. Pennzoil has lower HT/HS in the 5-20 grade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back