Mobil 1 FS 0W-40, 5,000 miles, 2020 Toyota Tundra

Lots of hour plus long idling this time and some light towing of about 1500 lbs.

Tundra.jpg

All very good & if 0-20 was spec. then this thinned 0w-40 was still thicker than that viscosity so no issues with it being low on this report. All very good report. The more common the 0w-40 visc. gets the more I see it on these UOA.

I often wonder if the raised wear materials values are due to the M1 cleaning up some residual deposits. Be interesting to see if it trends down over OCI's.
Are you saying that this analysis shows raised wear materials? With 2ppm CU, 4ppm AL and 7ppm FE and 0 n
NI or PB? I thought this showed quite low wear metals. Particularly since CU trended down.

I often wonder if the raised wear materials values are due to the M1 cleaning up some residual deposits. Be interesting to see if it trends down over OCI's.
They did some light towing of 1500 lbs but the 2/11 UOA is about spot on with the 5/14 UOA so I doubt it's the oil.

The wear rates are completely within expected norms; this is typical variation one can expect from any UOA series.

There is ZERO ability to see singular UOA results and ascribe reasonable conclusions based on grade, brand, base-stock, etc.

The oil did it's job and the engine is in fine shape. End of story.

The lower tested viscosity is speculated to be from the residual previous grade left in the engine. How do these analysts dream such explanations/comments up.

I got a good laugh at that as well. In order for that to happen, ~30% of the sump would have to be residual 0W-20. These lab techs writing these comments usually aren't the most versed in engine oils, dilution, and so forth, often relying on canned responses or limited educating, which is why you see some really wild comments. I got frustrated with ALS (Wix kit) this last time because the report sat in "awaiting diagnosis" for 3 days. I called them about it, asked that they just release the data without the diagnosis that I didn't need the diagnosis. The guy stumbled his words a minute and asked why I didn't want the diagnosis to which I replied with... "Because I know more than your lab guy does. Just send me the data." I had it in my email a few minutes later. Then it showed up again about an hour later with a diagnosis on it.

The wear rates are completely within expected norms; this is typical variation one can expect from any UOA series.

There is ZERO ability to see singular UOA results and ascribe reasonable conclusions based on grade, brand, base-stock, etc.

The oil did it's job and the engine is in fine shape. End of story.
Exactly. As imperfect as this one example may be, I am not seeing any benefit to running this oil over the specified 0W20.

This truck is very lightly used, rarely short-tripped with plenty of highway miles, and has had nothing but very high-quality oils like M1 EP, Castrol Edge EP, and now M1 FS on 5k mile OCIs - if there are residual deposits of any kind I'd be very surprised.

This truck is very lightly used, rarely short-tripped with plenty of highway miles, and has had nothing but very high-quality oils like M1 EP, Castrol Edge EP, and now M1 FS on 5k mile OCIs - if there are residual deposits of any kind I'd be very surprised.
Agreed. 5k mile OCIs should be leaving very little, if any, "residual" to clean up. It would venture into the topic of the "residual" oil left in an OCI, and since there's no way to know how much that is (not SAE or OEM study exists), then it's moot.

The wear trends are very controlled and desirable here. Nothing to worry about whatsoever.

The lower tested viscosity is speculated to be from the residual previous grade left in the engine. How do these analysts dream such explanations/comments up.
I guess they have to write something...lol. This guy is a chemical engineer and he stated Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 is barely a 40-grade to start and that they almost always see it sheer down to a 30-grade on UOAs. Interesting that the same thing happened on the 2022 Kia Soul with a 2.0 with only 4,000 miles on the oil.

Exactly. As imperfect as this one example may be, I am not seeing any benefit to running this oil over the specified 0W20.
I have a buttload of it because it was on sale and really cheap. I bought it for the Kia just to "hedge my irrational bets" with that engine and then figured why keep multiple grades? Everything will now run on 0W40 - vehicles, lawn mower, generator, snow blower, etc.

Back