Mobil 1 "fails" Seq. IVA wear test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This article has a good graph of how Mobil 1 technically did not even pass the Seq. IVA wear test. You need a result of less than 90 microns and Mobil 1 got 180 microns. Both Valvoline and Castrol EDGE were at 20 microns or less, but any less than 35 microns is "statistically" the same result.

http://www.jobbersworld.com/March 20, 2009.htm

Here is graph of results:

artwor55.jpg

Keep in mind that's taking SOPUS's test results, not those of an idependant lab.

Should Mobil run some tests and make a graph?

Originally Posted By: SAJEFFC
This topic is like an ex-wife....it just won't go away!
crackmeup2.gif

Did you hear the one about Pennzoil wax? Killer on your engine, I hear.

33.gif

Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
I am out of ammo on this topic. It has been as exhuasitively discussed as the thick vs thin debate. ExxonMobilhas never responded.

Yes they have, by advertising on BITOG.
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: bepperb
Keep in mind that's taking SOPUS's test results, not those of an idependant lab.

Should Mobil run some tests and make a graph?

Actually I think that the original test that QS is quoting was paid for and first quoted by Valvoline. Valvoline claims it was done by an independent lab even though Valvoline paid for the test (if one is dumb enough to believe that).

The "independent" lab does not reveal how many oil samples were tested, nor how many many different engines were used (is it possible that not all engines are exactly the same and if you keep testing long enough you will find a bad engine with lots of wear???).

Anyway, Valvoline seems to be in a panic mode now that Ashland has put them up for sale. I guess they need to proved to the new owners that they have an aggressive marketing department that should be kept around after the acquisition.

Based on what I read today about a massive reorg at Shell, the QS people may need to justify their jobs soon because I am sure there is some duplication within SOPUS and with Shell branded lubricants.

It seems preposterous that M1 is actually '8X' worse, but somehow they found a test that would make it appear so.

Statistically, the universe is empty, but we know it is not.

Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
I am out of ammo on this topic. It has been as exhuasitively discussed as the thick vs thin debate. ExxonMobilhas never responded.

That is not true. EM categorically denied that their oils fail to meet certifications as claimed by Valvoline.

EM could file a lawsuit, but that just gives publicity to the claim, which usually does more harm than good because people only remember the claim, not whether it is true.

Yes, that graph above did not come from Shell but Valvoline. Shell/Quaker State offered to run and pay for test on all of the above oils at Southwest Research Lab in San Antonio but the three above declined.

Mark, where and what did you read today? No doubt there is a lot of duplication at Shell when it comes to the brands they sell.

Originally Posted By: ADFD1
I'm thinking if EM could file a claim and shut them up they would?

AD

No, if you file a lawsuit, you just give more publicity to the claim. Just like when Tom Cruise was accused by some guy of being gay, Cruise sued him (against the advice of his lawyers) and won, but a lot of people still think he is gay (he is not).

BTW, here is the denial from EM:

“While we are aware of Valvoline's assertions, ExxonMobil stands behind the quality of Mobil 1 and all of our lubes products,” company spokeswoman Prem Nair told Lube Report. “ExxonMobil has not lost GF-4 licenses for any Mobil 1 products, and our GF-4 licenses for all product lines are valid.”
http://www.imakenews.com/lng/e_article001295961.cfm?x=b11,0,w

Now, I don't really know if Mobil 1 has a problem with the wear test or not. But they do seem to have denied that their oils fail to meet specifications.

"ExxonMobil has not lost GF-4 licenses for any Mobil 1 products, and our GF-4 licenses for all product lines are valid"

smirk2.gif

Do we need to rehash how failing a test DOES NOT mean an oil producer will lose their API licenses?

I'm sure once Valvoline brought this to EM attention, they corrected things.
56.gif

I won't believe a "spokesperson" EVER, and until EM either files a lawsuit or puts out some real factual information, and if and when both Valvoline and Castrol stop using this stuff in their advertising, maybe I believe it won't be true.

Until then, all I can go by is the best available information.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Johnny
Mark, where and what did you read today? No doubt there is a lot of duplication at Shell when it comes to the brands they sell.

Johnny, there are news reports today of a major reorg throughout Royal Dutch Shell. I don't know if that will affect SOPUS internally, or whether they will combine any functions with Shell lubricants, I was just speculating that some consolidation could happen given the scope of the announcement. But on the other hand, I am sure that no matter what happens they will want to keep the brands distinct in the public eye since they can probably maximum market share that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back