Mobil 1 "fails" Seq. IVA wear test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Mark888
68649-12-7 is PAO 4. This is 30-40% of M1 5W-30. If you google "68649-12-7" you will see that it is PAO.

Yep, and from those MSDSs it shows that M1 5W-30 is 30-40% PAO, 30-40% Hydrotreated mineral oil, and 20-40% "trade secret".

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
Now I'm curious what the breakdown for GC (in it's modern golden formulation) is.

My understanding is that synthetic oil sold on the EU has substantial amounts of PAO.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
Yep, and from those MSDSs it shows that M1 5W-30 is 30-40% PAO, 30-40% Hydrotreated mineral oil, and 20-40% "trade secret".

Trade secret probably includes some Group V Ester Stock. It is labeled as a trade secret because the MSDS does require its disclosure.

I find it entertaining and in reflection sad how much effort is spent on this thread. My intincts tell me there are sone specific interest involved.

Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
I find it entertaining and in reflection sad how much effort is spent on this thread. My intincts tell me there are sone specific interest involved.

I have been through this before in other threads. None with me, although I do own a fairly large amount of BP and COP stock. I think some people who knock M1 just don't like big Oil and ExxonMobil in particular. I doubt they work for the competition.

For some reason motor oil preference seems to be more a religious belief than anything else.

With the exception of Valvoline (which is not an oil company), none of big oil companies that sell motor oil (EM, Royal Dutch Shell, BP (Castrol), Chevron, or COP) are going to be seriously affected by motor oil sales. They live or die (profit-wise) on crude oil and natural gas prices.

Simple solution: Pay the 2 bucks more a litre to get synthetic oil imported from EU. If you're not buying LL, stay in grade synth, why bother with it over the good conventionals in the first place?

Last edited:
I bought some 5w20 M1 to do a change on my friends new Toyota Rav4 and then found out that 5w30 was the recommended weight. I intend to use the M1 in my Santa Fe this winter instead of returning it.

I trust M1 is a darn good oil and will serve me well over the 10K KM (6K Mile) OCI I intend to do with it.
thumbsup2.gif

grin2.gif

So true...

And when you look at these threads (even more sad that we have more than a few) it's the SAME cheerleaders who come out to play (defend)
smirk2.gif

Everytime...

But when you have a job to do....
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

So true...

And when you look at these threads (even more sad that we have more than a few) it's the SAME cheerleaders who come out to play (defend)
smirk2.gif

Everytime...

But when you have a job to do....
LOL.gif

+1 But I find them educational, and entertaining.

Last edited:
Lets start another thread with just M1 in the name, and put the words "Just Kidding" in the first post and see how many views it gets...

It amazes me how every other thread is moderately viewed unless M1 is somehow involved!

We will have to get the Mod's permission for this experiment so it doesn't get locked.
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I just got a good laugh from that, in fact it might lighten things up a bit!
cheers3.gif
LOL.gif

My job is done here... I'm going outside to work on my Purple Martin bird house some more.
grin2.gif

Until next time!
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: GMFan
I think after I finish up the last jug of Mobil Clean I have, I'm going to switch to a SOPUS oil - Quaker State or Pennzoil.

Sequence IVA test??...Mobil 1 is overpriced anyway...

Mobil 1 is cheaper than Pennzoil Platinum in the 5 quart jug at Wally World.

Originally Posted By: Cooper
I think after I finish up the last jug of Mobil Clean I have, I'm going to switch to a SOPUS oil - Quaker State or Pennzoil.

M1 is $23 5/qt and PP is $20 5/qt here, and they've both come down recently.

Originally Posted By: Cooper

Not here.

Mobil 1 $23
Mobil 1 EP $26
PP $20
QS $18

Originally Posted By: Mark888

I have been through this before in other threads. None with me, although I do own a fairly large amount of BP and COP stock. I think some people who knock M1 just don't like big Oil and ExxonMobil in particular. I doubt they work for the competition.

For some reason motor oil preference seems to be more a religious belief than anything else.

With the exception of Valvoline (which is not an oil company), none of big oil companies that sell motor oil (EM, Royal Dutch Shell, BP (Castrol), Chevron, or COP) are going to be seriously affected by motor oil sales. They live or die (profit-wise) on crude oil and natural gas prices.

I work for a big oil company. My issue is that of integrity and maintaining objectivity. This is not personal, it is entirely based on my professional expectations of fact based decision making.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back