Mobil 1 "fails" Seq. IVA wear test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: zulu
Not defending EM, but using this logic why would Ashland chose to cut their own throat and attack the very company they buy their products from? I still contend that we only know about %50 of the true story...

I am not sure what you are talking about. Valvoline has very little if any PAO on their products. According their annual report for 2008 (published Spring 2009) where they are required to disclose key suppliers:

"Additives (from key suppliers such as Lubrizol Corporation) and base oils (from key suppliers such as Motiva Enterprises LLC) constitute a large portion of the raw materials required to manufacture Valvoline’s products. In addition to raw materials, Valvoline sources a significant portion of its packaging from key suppliers such as Graham Packaging Inc."

No mention of ExxonMobil except as a competitor.

I wonder if the difference between Valvoline/Edge/PP vs M1 is Lubrizol's additive package?

Originally Posted By: Mark888
Originally Posted By: ADFD1
Thanks. My family used Mobil 1 exclusively for many years. My father stopped using it when they trashed Prince William Sound. That whole thing made him sick, especially the way it was handled. But that's a whole different story.

Hmmm. The Exxon Valdez oil spill happened in 1989. Mobil did not merge with Exxon until 1999.

Hmmm.

They merged and still were jerking the people of that area around for many years after. IIRC there are still problems there. He wanted no part of a company that was associated with that mess. He stopped buying Mobil gas shortly after the merger, along with the oil.

The way you defend them you sound like you're on their payroll.

AD

Originally Posted By: edhackett
Gerard is the President. Tillerson is chairman of the board: "As chairman of API’s Board of Directors, Tillerson will also chair the trade association’s 25-member Policy Committee and 10-member Executive Committee". No influence there.

No, as I said that was 2006. Effective January 1 2009 there is a new Chairman of the Board and a new President, neither of which are ExxonMobil employees.

SCOTTSDALE, Arizona, October 20, 2008 – The API Board of Directors on Monday elected J. Larry Nichols, chairman and chief executive officer of Devon Energy Corporation, as chairman of API’s board, effective Jan. 1, 2009. The board also approved Jack N. Gerard as the new president and chief executive officer of API, effective Nov. 1.

http://www.api.org/Newsroom/api-elects-new-ceo.cfm

They've merged and still were jerking the people of that area around for many years after.

AD

You mean like you are jerking the truth around about when your relative quit buying M1?

No, I am not on their payroll, I just value truth more than you. I will be lucky to get my $10 mail in rebate when I use it soon.

I've heard so much bad about Mobil 1 lately that I can't wait til they come out with Mobil 2 - maybe it will be better!

They've merged and still were jerking the people of that area around for many years after.

AD

You mean like you are jerking the truth around about when your relative quit buying M1?

No, I am not on their payroll, I just value truth more than you. I will be lucky to get my $10 mail in rebate when I use it soon.

The relative is my father. Why would I jerk the truth around? He loves the environment and the state of Alaska, he did what he felt was right. I'm telling the story. You want to challenge me on dates? When he heard they were merging that was it, no big deal. I'm sure there are a lot of people who share the same views. Look at all the people who won't shop at Wal-Mart, does that make them bad, or liars?

Enjoy Mobil 1 and the $10 rebate. Also try changing your tone and being nice, it makes the world a better place.

AD

It's too bad this thread was started all over again. It only leads to confusion and hard feelings. How many times does this subject have to come up?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1
It's too bad this thread was started all over again. It only leads to confusion and hard feelings. How many times does this subject have to come up.

+1

AD

The relative is my father. Why would I jerk the truth around? He loves the environment and the state of Alaska, he did what he felt was right. I'm telling the story. You want to challenge me on dates? When he heard they were merging that was it, no big deal. I'm sure there are a lot of people who share the same views. Look at all the people who won't shop at Wal-Mart, does that make them bad, or liars?

Enjoy Mobil 1 and the $10 rebate. Also try changing your tone and being nice, it makes the world a better place.

AD

In your original post you said he stopped buying M1 after the Exxon Valdez spill. You did not say that he quit buying M1 after Exxon and Mobil merged 10 years after the spill.

Exxon has already shelled out about $4 Billion dollars for the spill, and a lot of people have gotten rich, so while I don't condone what the negligence that caused the spill, it was an accident and they paid a lot of money to the residents of Alaska.

If the government nationalized the oil business, and it was a government owned tanker that had a spill, then the residents of Alaska would have gotten a small fraction of what they received.

I responded to a thread that interested me. Sorry if what my father did several years ago isn't fresh in my mind. I'm replying from memory, had I known I'd be called out I would have called my father in NY and got an exact time line. I think most people understood where I was coming from.

I would rather not get into a debate as to what would have happened if Uncle Sam ran the oil industry, it doesn't matter. Exxon spilled the oil, and In my opinion got off easy. Yes some people got rich, others lost a lot. It's over now, but not forgotten.

I'm sorry this thread took the direction it did. There are a lot of loyal EM customers, EM's financial status tells that story. Then there are others who want nothing to do with the company, so be it. I'm new here and would rather not be ejected for participating in a fight.
Enjoy!

AD

I responded to a thread that interested me. Sorry if what my father did several years ago isn't fresh in my mind. I'm replying from memory, had I known I'd be called out I would have called my father in NY and got an exact time line. I think most people understood where I was coming from.

I would rather not get into a debate as to what would have happened if Uncle Sam ran the oil industry, it doesn't matter. Exxon spilled the oil, and In my opinion got off easy. Yes some people got rich, others lost a lot. It's over now, but not forgotten.

I'm sorry this thread took the direction it did. There are a lot of loyal EM customers, EM's financial status tells that story. Then there are others who want nothing to do with the company, so be it. I'm new here and would rather not be ejected for participating in a fight.
Enjoy!

AD

I don't want to get into a fight either, but I believe it would be better to leave religion and politics out of the motor oil sections of this forum.

It makes no difference whether ExxonMobil has loyal customers or whether most people hate them (the later is true, especially in northeast, and it has nothing to do with oil spills). Oil companies make their money by exploration and production of crude oil and natural gas. It doesn't matter whether you buy Exxon or Mobil refined products for your car, someone will buy the crude oil from them and they will get rich.

I currently own a significant amount of stock in ConocoPhillips and BP (Castrol). I don't use either the motor oils from either company, and I usually buy Chevron gas for my car, but it makes no difference to the stock price because big oil companies make most of their money from exploration and production, and not as much from refining and marketing.

Enjoy!

AD

I don't want to get into a fight either, but I believe it would be better to leave religion and politics out of the motor oil sections of this forum.

It makes no difference whether ExxonMobil has loyal customers or whether most people hate them (the later is true, especially in northeast, and it has nothing to do with oil spills). Oil companies make their money by exploration and production of crude oil and natural gas. It doesn't matter whether you buy Exxon or Mobil refined products for your car, someone will buy the crude oil from them and they will get rich.

I currently own a significant amount of stock in ConocoPhillips and BP (Castrol). I don't use either the motor oils from either company, and I usually buy Chevron gas for my car, but it makes no difference to the stock price because big oil companies make most of their money from exploration and production, and not as much from refining and marketing.

Agreed!
cheers3.gif

AD

I will be lucky to get my $10 mail in rebate when I use it soon.

well then why use it at all if your that doubtful??? you'll get it....

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
What's the cam face loading on that nissan SUB SOHC cam box they use in that seq~iva? I assume they do a hardness test of the cam and a break in first before the cold oil run. I'd love to see all the data, to see how rigorous this test is.

There are 7 rockwell tests preformed on each lobe, from which an average is taken. I dot have my notes with me, but it is a pretty rigorous test. I'll post specifics once I get home. There is a lot of mis-information out the on the valvetrain specs, and the nissan enthusiasts seem to follow the DOHC motor. So I can't tellyou the cam face loading.

"Boatowner: The claims of not passing Sequence IVA test only apply to the standard M1 5W-30, not TDT, EP, or any other grade formulation."

I think it is only fair to assume if one EM product is bad, they all are. However, I am with all the others who keep asking where is the massive evidence, like UOAs, showing that M1 5w-30 is bad? This one test is like the Amsoil 4 ball test.

Originally Posted By: Boatowner
I think it is only fair to assume if one EM product is bad, they all are.

Why would it be fair to assume such a thing?

This one test is like the Amsoil 4 ball test.

I disagree. This is a test that is required to meet ILSAC certification. This was approved by the members of ILSAC as a valid test that must be passed to carry the ILSAC cert. This included Japanese and American Auto makers and oil companies that set these standards. This is a controlled engine test that measures cam wear.
The 4 ball is not an engine oil test, is not controlled and is not used to gain any current certifications.

This one test is like the Amsoil 4 ball test.

Hardly, Seq IVA seems to be an accurate representation of an oil's ability to protect an engine in low temperature, low rpm (warm up) conditions.

Pert Plus does well in the 4-ball test.

Considering that Seq IVA is a 100 hour test, and I'm sure an engine sees more than 100 hours of similar conditions over a 100,000+ mile life, I don't think I could bring myself to use an oil that does poorly in it.
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back