Mobil 1 Extended Protection High Mileage Test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Gene K
I think some of the statistics you guys are throwing around are a little outdated.

According to the US DOT the current life expectancy of an automobile is 145,000 mi.

I'm surprised to find out Hondas are less reliable.

Only 2% make 200,000 miles surprises me too. I still see lots of pre-1997 F150:s and it's hard to believe most of them had to average less than 5,000 mi a year. I would bave thought the number over 200,000 mi is over 2% of production as many as I see. The ones I look at seem to average around 300,000 mi.

PS I don't live in the rust belt so that might color my perceptiona.

To check the % number, take the actual number of vehicles you think have over 200,000 miles and divide by 265 million, which is the number of vehicle registrations currently in the USA. Two percent of 265,000,000 is about about 5 million vehicles. Might that be why you think see a lot of them?

Last edited:
Unfortunatley time is an issue here. How do you accumulate 15,000 by doing a lot of start/stop driving? Mobil does to very good testing with their oils but tests all have their flaws. One thing I always liked is that they use actual cars rather timken testing and other simple bench testing. Some of their turbo testing was really good, cold chamber test and the severe service test where they purposely ran M1 5w30 in a 2008 GM 3.5L V6, 1-2qts low, for 25,000 miles.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by njohnson
https://mobiloil.com/en/article/why...il-results?WT.ac=Home-JT_M1EPHM_HondaPOP

What's mounted on the front of the test car? Looks maybe like an oil cooler? Keeping the oil a bit cooler than it would normally run, thereby essentially making it a thicker viscosity under use?

Also, I would have expected the under the valve cover shot after the test to be cleaner than it was.

I believe it's a transmission fluid cooler, not an oil cooler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back