Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

I was looking at the new Extended Performance oil filters on Mobil's website, and something caught my eye, or rather, I should say, what I didn't see anymore. The old description used to say that the filters had the synthetic blend media that, "•Reduces resistance to oil flow while improving filter efficiency".

The new description doesn't say that anymore. I thought it was basically the same media? And they beefed up some of the internal components to last for 20,000 miles.

Here is the link to Mobil's website. The second link is Advance Auto's web page, it still has the old Mobil 1 oil filter description on it.

https://mobiloil.com/en/oil-filters/performance-oil-filters

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/mobil1-extended-performance-oil-filter-m1-104/3730003-P?navigationPath=L1*14932%7CL2*14984%7CL3*15341#fragment-1

Last edited:
Definitely might be using a different (cheaper?) material this time around or just neglected to mention the previously used statement. Who knows. Ask them and report back. I wanna know.

Their site does say
Quote:
Our advanced performance oil filters use synthetic blend media, which leave your vehicle with cleaner oil and an engine that performs better and lasts longer

Not sure what exactly it said before.
The box says "Synthetic blend media keeps oil cleaner and holds more dirt" as well as "Synthetic blend media for high efficiency and high capacity".

full-4879-5221-3.jpg

Here is one I cut open

It says "enhanced nitrile gasket helps prevent leaks".....isn't a nitrile gasket a step below a silicone gasket?

I'll venture an educated guess based on the Castrol SFX filters I've purchased:

Champion Laboratories uses the same or very similar synthetic blended media in the Mobil 1, Castrol SFX, Pennzoil Platinum and Royal Purple premium filters that it has made in the past or currently manufactures.

M1 is an inferior product relative to the FRAM Ultra.

Nitrile is a step below silicone.

M1 Synthetic blend media versus the Ultra's synthetic wire-backed media.

Even though the box says 15k, I would argue the Ultra can easily match the M1 and go 20k.

Efficiency is better with the Ultra.

There really is no reason to choose M1 over the Ultra.

Originally Posted By: sir1900

Even though the box says 15k, I would argue the Ultra can easily match the M1 and go 20k.

Well, ya, in the can form. You might want to look up the FU cartridge filters.

Originally Posted By: oshia86

Well, ya, in the can form. You might want to look up the FU cartridge filters.

What's the deal with the cartridge filters?

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
I'll venture an educated guess based on the Castrol SFX filters I've purchased:

Champion Laboratories uses the same or very similar synthetic blended media in the Mobil 1, Castrol SFX, Pennzoil Platinum and Royal Purple premium filters that it has made in the past or currently manufactures.

The filter material in the Mobil 1 vs the Royal Purple filter is not the same, nor it is very similar.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
The wire is only there so the fuzz does not collapse ...

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Artem
Definitely might be using a different (cheaper?) material this time around or just neglected to mention the previously used statement. Who knows. Ask them and report back. I wanna know.

I had computer problems for a few days, and now the computer is working again. I sent them an email a couple of days ago asking about it. They sent a reply back that didn't really answer the question. They gave the description of the oil filter along with a picture of it, and said to go to their website for more information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back