Mobil 1 Extended Performance 0w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Wonder why they bothered to get the Ford specs ...

Ford allows up to 7500 for warranty. That would be dumping this way too early!

It just meets or exceeds the Ford specs. It appears that they didn't get a formal approval on any of the EP line.

I was just in Walmart, to purchase some 0w20 and noticed that they had the M1 extended performance in 0w20 on sale for the same price as the AFE. I bought the EP and poured it in my Outback.

Upon coming back home and getting on the internet to research, I have to say that I am disappointed. I thought the specs of this oil would have been better. Of course it will be fine and run splendid in my 2.5L, but thought it would be better.

Originally Posted By: BigJohn
I was just in Walmart, to purchase some 0w20 and noticed that they had the M1 extended performance in 0w20 on sale for the same price as the AFE. I bought the EP and poured it in my Outback.

Upon coming back home and getting on the internet to research, I have to say that I am disappointed. I thought the specs of this oil would have been better. Of course it will be fine and run splendid in my 2.5L, but thought it would be better.

Better in what way?

I was in Walmart last week and wanted to understand the difference between the M1 AFE and M1 EP in 0W-20. So I set a bottle of each side by side on the shelf and turned them around to look at their little graph, where they show how each oil is rated in different characteristics.

I was shocked to see no real difference. Both are rated for up to 15k miles OCI. What the heck? What gives? So I came home and pulled the data sheet for both of them. Not much difference. Both meet the same manufacturer's specs. Both have the same cold pour point.

So, I put in a formal question to Mobil 1, asking them to explain the difference. Why 0W2-20 M1 EP if 0W-20 M1 AFE will do it all? No answer yet. But I just posted my question 3/31.

Originally Posted By: BHopkins
I was shocked to see no real difference. Both are rated for up to 15k miles OCI. What the heck? What gives?
Unless I missed something, I see that EP is guaranteed for 15K, but AFE **may be** used for up to 15K (no guarantee). Wth that said, I ran AFE for 15K and it was stellar.

Hmmm, when will M1 0W-20 HM be released??
lol.gif

I am going to run 0W-20 AFE for 20,000 miles with two microGreen filters. It's an experiment that may culminate in my first-ever UOA. I know that MG claims a 30,000 mile OCI, but my anxiety won't allow that - yet. MG sells filters in twos, which is odd when you consider that the company advocates THREE filter changes at 10,000 mile intervals before changing all the oil.

This doesn't scare me a bit, by the way.

Originally Posted By: richport29
Still boggles my mind this oil isn't sold north of the border..

One would think Canada would be an ideal market or a 0w oil.

We get the AFE 0w-20 up here just not the 0w-30.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Perfect for my BMW this winter.

Oops, no I didn't just say that. Carry on.

Originally Posted By: Ayrton
I'm sure this is an excellent product. It might be a go to choice for those needing a 0w-20.

I do that, use a 0w-20 for an 07 530 bmw during the winter, used for short 4 mile trips twice a day, so the stuff never gets thin enough. Yes, I'm ashamed to put that in a bmw.

The larger, 24 hour, not ready to be closed down completely, Sino Mart in my area had both the quart bottles and 5 quart jugs of this on the shelf, along with PLENTY of the Fram Ultra filters in my size (and most others it is made in as well, by the looks of it).

The smaller, ready to be shut permanently, but still open 24 hours store in my area, had NO 0W-20 EP, nor even ONE Fram Ultra filter on it's shelves (and not even a tag/space for either of these items, so NO plans on carrying them ever).
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: BHopkins
So, I put in a formal question to Mobil 1, asking them to explain the difference. Why 0W2-20 M1 EP if 0W-20 M1 AFE will do it all? No answer yet. But I just posted my question 3/31.

Any answer yet? I was curious of this as well. I did notice:
0w20 EP vs 0w20 AFE
Kv100 8.6 8.7
Kv40 44.9 44.8
VI 173 173
FlashPt 235 224

Not sure exactly what the significance is of this data in the real world though. I emailed about the MRV but have not heard back. MRV is important to me where I live, but the OCI is also given that I'd like to go about 11k with this oil if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back