Mobil 1 Extended Performance 0w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
looks good.. moderately more impressive than the 5w20 offering on paper.

I dont see a noack though.

-54C pour point
whistle.gif

surprised 5W-30 is the only one used for a Honda, which is what I've been using since the birth of mine.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Wonder why they bothered to get the Ford specs ...

Ford allows up to 7500 for warranty. That would be dumping this way too early!

My 2014 Explorer has an iOLM and goes to 10K for normal service and it would seem there are other models that do as well. I suppose that whether or not 10K is dumping too early would depend on the service. Is it possible the specifications could have been a pass through from regular M1 AFE?

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Miller88 said:
Is it possible the specifications could have been a pass through from regular M1 AFE?

That very possible considering we don't know what the TBN is.

This came up in another thread a while ago on the real difference (other than marketing) between regular M1 5W-30 and EP 5W-30. IIRC the conclusion was that they're the same oil.

That can't be, right? I mean the same company can't sell the same item under two different names for two different prices, at least you couldn't 20 years ago when I worked for company that sold lots of "stuff". That was illegal for us to do so. Our products had to be demonstrably different.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
This came up in another thread a while ago on the real difference (other than marketing) between regular M1 5W-30 and EP 5W-30. IIRC the conclusion was that they're the same oil.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
-54C pour point
whistle.gif

Looks like heavy PAO? Funny how Mobil has these couple products with heavy PAO, like M1 0w-30. That one and this one, only two I know of with these extreme low pour points. 0w-20 AFE I don't know about as it doesn't list pour point for it.

I'm sure this is an excellent product. It might be a go to choice for those needing a 0w-20.

Last edited:
Perfect for my BMW this winter.

Oops, no I didn't just say that. Carry on.

Originally Posted By: Ayrton
I'm sure this is an excellent product. It might be a go to choice for those needing a 0w-20.

Hard to tell and probably impossible to really know. I'd say they are very similar, with maybe some very slight differences.

Mobil, like others I suppose, are using some varying % of PAO in different formulations.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
That can't be, right? I mean the same company can't sell the same item under two different names for two different prices, at least you couldn't 20 years ago when I worked for company that sold lots of "stuff". That was illegal for us to do so. Our products had to be demonstrably different.

Not sure. The warranty is different between the 5w30 M1 and 5w30 EP, so you might be buying the warranty. I don't think all Mobil products are that way, but if you have a 5w30 that is very good, it makes sense there wouldn't be much to change for the EP formula with its warranty.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

You're joking right?
Make no mistake this is 99% about marketing. Sure they are likely adding a bit more detergent but in the 5W-30 thread the difference insignificant if I recall.
But remember this, more detergent is not automatically make a better lube as they will just compete more effectively with the AW additives. The only benefit is if you're going to be extending the OCI beyond what the standard oil can handle and even then it is just theoretical advantage. Whether the higher virgin TBN oil actually does last longer is still very much application dependent.

Based on what I've seen of the PDS I would stick with the regular AFE 0W-20 even if it was the same price as EP.

No of course I'm not joking. I worked for a large corporation that made stuff like gas valves, thermostats and various sensors. We absolutely could not sell the same item under different names, at a different price. We could sell the same item to another division or company that would resell it under a different name, but not under our name. As you might guess there are gray areas and it sometimes becomes a game, but bottom line we couldn't grab something off the assembly line and sell it as two different products.

You're joking right?
Make no mistake this is 99% about marketing. Sure they are likely adding a bit more detergent but in the 5W-30 thread the difference insignificant if I recall.
But remember this, more detergent is not automatically make a better lube as they will just compete more effectively with the AW additives. The only benefit is if you're going to be extending the OCI beyond what the standard oil can handle and even then it is just theoretical advantage. Whether the higher virgin TBN oil actually does last longer is still very much application dependent.

Based on what I've seen of the PDS I would stick with the regular AFE 0W-20 even if it was the same price as EP.

XOM's mileage warranty is independent of the OEM's mileage warranty, though, for those who choose to go longer. I don't think tig1 has followed OEM OCI recommendations for a few decades.

Originally Posted By: Garak

XOM's mileage warranty is independent of the OEM's mileage warranty, though, for those who choose to go longer. I don't think tig1 has followed OEM OCI recommendations for a few decades.

I don't plan on following the OEM recommended either, once my warranty is up. Dumping at 7500 is a waste for a 2.0L port injected engine with a 5 quart capacity.

But, the certification means that if I do run it for only 7500, I won't lose my factory warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back