Mobil 1 ESP/ X3 vs FS 0w-40

My car (2003) recommend API SL for engine oil. I assume the engine is pre GPF.
I have been using Mob 1 0w-40 fully synthetic since new. I have looked at the ESP range because of the slightly different viscocities and availability.

I understand that the API hierarchy means that an SN rated oil meets all it's predecessors specifications like (SJ, SL, SM ...) +additional newer onces.

So I contacted mobil (UK) about suitability of the ESP & EXP X3 for my car compared to FS (full SAP). Theu guy gave me helpful information relating to GPF oil requirement and so on but the outcome was that ESP/ X3, do not meet the SL standard and that I should not use them.

Could it be that full SAP oil is a better lubricant so better for engines without GPF?

So a little confused here. Perhaps our expert members can shine some light on this for my benefit?

I'd have no problem using the FS. Your application calls for a Full SAPS lube given its age.

Any more details on the application, is it DI?

My car (2003) recommend API SL for engine oil.

Why don't you tell us which exact car you're talking about? :unsure:
Oil selection always depends on the car. For example, if it's a
European make I won't even bother with API licenses. What
actually matters is ACEA and more so manufacturer approvals.
Likely it doesn't matter much if you're running M1 FS or ESP.

toyota 2.0l petrol VVTI.
It is not direct injection (a blessing maybe ???)
I am happy to continue with mob1 FS.
Asking the question for two reasons: should availability become an issue and if SN rating is backward compatible with SL?
thanks

See paragraph "Applications" : https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants...s/our-products/products/mobil-1-esp-x3-0w-40/
Not backwards compatible with A40
What's your point?
bonjo was talking about using Mobil 1 FS 0W-40. The oil you linked to is a different oil.
Also, A40 is not an API spec, it's a Porsche spec. Toyota engines don't call for Porsche specs.

If it was me, I'd probably use a full saps oil in that engine too, unless it was burning a lot of oil, or there was some other reason not to.
In the UK, do people generally use 40 weight oils for these engines, which, I presume, call for 5W-30?
What kind of driving? (distances/speeds/frequencies, climate)

Anyway, good luck! :)

What's your point?
bonjo was talking about using Mobil 1 FS 0W-40. The oil you linked to is a different oil.
Also, A40 is not an API spec, it's a Porsche spec. Toyota engines don't call for Porsche specs.

If it was me, I'd probably use a full saps oil in that engine too, unless it was burning a lot of oil, or there was some other reason not to.
In the UK, do people generally use 40 weight oils for these engines, which, I presume, call for 5W-30?
What kind of driving? (distances/speeds/frequencies, climate)

Anyway, good luck! :)
I wasn't making any point
bonjo was wandering if he could use Mobil 1 ESP X3 0w-40 on his engine. He was wandering about backwards compatibility
Just pointing out that it's not recommended by Mobil, at least for A40 specs.

Hope it helps

I wasn't making any point
bonjo was wandering if he could use Mobil 1 ESP X3 0w-40 on his engine. He was wandering about backwards compatibility
Just pointing out that it's not recommended by Mobil, at least for A40 specs.

Hope it helps
Correct, it can't have that approval and ExxonMobil doesn't recommend oils for applications for which an oil doesn't have an approval. It does have C40 approval however, and would likely be fine from an HT/HS standpoint. A40 is largely predicated on higher sulfur content in fuel.

Correct, it can't have that approval and ExxonMobil doesn't recommend oils for applications for which an oil doesn't have an approval. It does have C40 approval however, and would likely be fine from an HT/HS standpoint. A40 is largely predicated on higher sulfur content in fuel.
Fuel has not changed, just emission requirements.

Fuel has not changed, just emission requirements.
Both gasoline and diesel have changed a great deal in terms of lowered sulfur limits, which is tied to emissions. A lower ash level was facilitated by better fuel even with aftertreatment devices. I can't think of a reason why you could not use C40 instead of A40 as long as your fuel is not high sulfur.

Back