Mobil 1 EP blend, 2159 miles, 2020 Subaru Outback XT

Vehicle: 2020 Subaru Outback Limited XT (2.4l turbo)
Miles on vehicle/engine: 10906
Miles / time on oil change interval: 2159 miles / 5.5 months
Motor oil used: Mobil 1 EP 62% 0w-20 + 38% 5w-30
Oil filter used Subaru Blue OEM

Test results reflect the oil used this past summer interval, which was Mobil 1 EP blend of grades: 38% 5w-30 + 62% 0w-20. With the formulations then in effect (since changed), this blend had a calculated KV100 viscosity of 9.36. New oil installed after this analyzed batch, for the upcoming winter interval, is a blend of the newly formulated Mobil 1 oils that meet the new Dexos 1 Gen 3 specs: 38% AFS 5w-30 + 62% AFE 0w-20 with a calculated KV100 viscosity for the blend of 8.89.

Somewhat concerned by the following: Aluminum and Copper went up since last interval, although they are still in normal range; and Fuel dilution went up. Possible contributing factors were more idling and short runs and about 10% more miles than last interval. Silicon did continue down reflecting expected break-in performance.
Subaru Outback Oil UOA 10906 miles 20221101.jpg

That’s Direct Injection for ya. Amazing technology, ruined by emissions.
True. Driving patterns could have contributed too. 432 miles per month average is pretty low. Probably very few highway miles. Up to a 5W30 and get some highway miles in.

I’m obviously a Subaru endorser (especially turbo’d ones), but OPs driving usage & patterns are about the perfect market for an EV. Roughly 14 miles per day is hardly enough to ensure the oil is warmed up enough to get water or fuel to evaporate.

In my community, an electric golf cart sees more than 14 miles per day, since from April-October they’re used interchangeably in and around town.

I’m obviously a Subaru endorser (especially turbo’d ones), but OPs driving usage & patterns are about the perfect market for an EV. Roughly 14 miles per day is hardly enough to ensure the oil is warmed up enough to get water or fuel to evaporate.

In my community, an electric golf cart sees more than 14 miles per day, since from April-October they’re used interchangeably in and around town.
At least a hybrid.
I wonder if this Subaru is pulled behind a motor home for traveling around after setting up camp?

These results at 2159 OCI?? First question would be what type of longevity do you expect? Start from there and move forward.

Fuel is obviously a significant issue, I'd suggest the cessation of the mixing and just going with the 5W-30, it's going to be a 5W-20 by the time the fuel does its thing anyways.

Back