Mobil 1 EP 0W-20/M1C-251A filter, 10,600 mile OCI, 2016 Toyota Sienna LE FWD

To me, some of the wear metals look higher than they should be for this mileage (comparing to a UOA I had done on my 2008 Sienna in January of '19 using Mobil 1 5W-30 for 6,000 miles but that vehicle is 90% highway miles commuting to and from work).
Both the 2008 and the 2016 Sienna's employ Toyota's 2GR-FE 3.5 liter V6.

Link to UOA in January of last year for my DD 2008:

This OCI was mostly shuttling kids to and from school, and most daily trips were 15 miles or less with one long haul of about 1000 miles over about a week in July of 2020 to see family out of state.

This is the first UOA on the vehicle since it came into our possession in August of 2019 (with 102,000 miles). I performed an oil change on it shortly after we purchased it and put in the Mobil 1 EP and used a Mobil 1 M1C-251A oil filter.

Base number still looks excellent at 4.4, and I would venture a guess that this could have easily ran the full 15,000 miles without hesitation.

Any thoughts on the Metals, specifically Iron and Copper in this report? Thanks!

2016 Sienna 10600 sample M1EP 0W20.jpg

no recent work that I'm aware of, at least nothing since we purchased it. It's been a great running machine up to this point, and I'm partial to the 2GR-FE because I've had exceptional experience with them already. (2016 was the last Sienna model year with the 2GR-FE before they migrated to the D4S fuel injection system).

I replaced the air filter shortly after we got the vehicle so it did have a new air filter on it for the duration of that OCI. All the connections and hoses on the air intake and emissions are buttoned up. Nothing loose, missing, or out of place...

no recent work that I'm aware of, at least nothing since we purchased it. It's been a great running machine up to this point, and I'm partial to the 2GR-FE because I've had exceptional experience with them already. (2016 was the last Sienna model year with the 2GR-FE before they migrated to the D4S fuel injection system).

I replaced the air filter shortly after we got the vehicle so it did have a new air filter on it for the duration of that OCI. All the connections and hoses on the air intake and emissions are buttoned up. Nothing loose, missing, or out of place...

May want to double-check the gasket seal on that new filter just in case.

Chuck that paper air filter and replace it with a K&N. Your Toyota will live a long and happy life. 🇺🇸
Wat.jpeg

Yes, when concerned about air filter efficiency the first thing you should do is put the higher efficiency filter in the trash and put in something that's been definitively proven to perform worse, because that's going to help...😕

Check around for anything else that might be loose or not fitting as it should be. PCV system for example.

Were any additives used during this last period?

Air filters for the 2008 Sienna
Beck Arnley filter #042-1648
Carquest Premium 88673
Purolator One #A35432

For the 2016
NAPA Gold 9430
Purolator A36116
Beck Arnley #042-1807
So, these two vehicles do not share the same air filter.

New Beck Arnley installed its the same one I just took out of it. It had about 13,000 miles on it and looked pretty dirty. For $10 bucks I’m not going to loose any sleep. Fits perfect. Feels like it seats and seals well when I clip it in.

C8EE9C4C-4E48-4BF7-AF82-6999E4A42333.jpeg
337DB507-180A-4B79-8667-59D4B8FF1000.jpeg
7681C47C-77BB-49CC-A68F-5E429E39B6DD.jpeg

Sooooooo ? 🤷‍♂️

I put Napa Full synthetic 0W-20 and a Napa Platinum 47047 filter in it for this OCI. I guess I’ll cough up another $20 at the end of this cycle which will be mid to late summer 2021 and see where the metals are measuring at.

It’s just one data point, so don’t worry yourself too much.

What jumps out to me more than the Si the lead at 9ppm. This should be zero and could indicate bearing wear, right?

It’s just one data point, so don’t worry yourself too much.

What jumps out to me more than the Si the lead at 9ppm. This should be zero and could indicate bearing wear, right?

I’m not sure there is lead in bearings anymore. Being a 2016 I’m guessing not. That’s why I wondered if any additives were used.

I’m not sure there is lead in bearings anymore. Being a 2016 I’m guessing not. That’s why I wondered if any additives were used.

I honestly don’t know. My knowledge of bearings comes from marine diesel class way back when, where Babbitt was used. Babbitt contains tin and lead among other constituents.

Were any additives used during this last period?

No additives. Toyota shuns the use of additives of any kind: fuel, oil, etc. I figure if the oil isn’t formulated well enough to do it’s job it wouldn’t get the API/Dexos etc approvals.

Back